DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have more random questions about our vehicles... My cars a 2001 Dodge Intrepid ES, for reference. Here goes:

1) Is there actually clearcoat on the headlights? If I get new headlights how can I stop this from peeling or hazing?

2) I will soon have a approximately 1000 watt audio system. Would this affect gas mileage at all? What about alternator/battery/belt wear?

3) Can we put normal HID kits in place of our regular bulbs without any modification? For example a HID H3 kit for my foglights? Whats involved in this?

4) What could possible cause the feeling of the steering wheel being easier to turn to the left than to the right?

5) Is it worth it to change a tire if it is a very slow leak and only has to be filled every few weeks? I actually think its the last Goodyear GA on the car, the dealer put 3 new LEE mud/snow tires on upon purchase.

6) Whats involved in the process of replacing brake lines or even modding the brake lines with Braided Steel lines to the calipers?

7) What exactly does an alignment do? I realize it straightens the steering and suspension somehow but what exactly is moved/adjusted?

8) Would the car be easier to steer with lowered tire pressure or higher tire pressure?

9) Is side exhaust illegal?

10) Can you get pulled over/ticketed for a loud audio system?

11) What do you guys have your sub amplifier gain's set at?

12) How do you remove Rain-X from a treated window?

13) How do I tint my side mirrors?

14) Would placing DynaMat behind already baffled speakers really improve anything over the original baffling? (XTC baffles on 6x9 and 6.5 speakers)

15) Anything wrong with placing subwoofer to be firing at eachother?

(added) 16) Should there be any play at all in my steering? Approximately how much room either way? I can move about 1-2 inches in either direction without noticing a turn.

(added) 17) Any way to legally tint the windshield or protect from bright oncoming headlights?

See what I mean by random? Anyways... I'll add more if I think of anything.

Josiah

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
1) Yes, only way I know to slow it down is by using that clear film protectant they sell

2) No, doesnt affect engine wear or drag at all. Your alt does not experience increased resistance due to load

3) Yes, just remove old bulbs, install HID bulbs, wire up ballasts, done. THis is what is included with most HID conversion kits

4) Uneven tire pressure, car weight distributed more on one side and much more

5) Depends how bad it annoys you and what your wallet is

6) Remove OEM lines, run new, bleed

7) Front (and sometimes rear) suspension parts are moved slightly so that tires are sitting at correct angles

8) Easier, tires have less resistance to ground due to decreased footprint

9) Depends on the exact exit point and your state laws. Generally exhaust exit point must be at least a few feet rear of any opening windows

10) yes, similar ticket to disturbing the peace

11) Mine is set down pretty low. Please dont set your gains at max

12) Rubbing alchohol in a spray bottle applied 2-3 times

13) Buy tint film, apply, smooth out air bubbles

14) Probably not

15) Sound will genrally not be as clear

(added) 16) There should be very little, excessive play can be a bad alignment and/or worn parts

(added) 17) Yes, get a legally blind clause form your physician and present it to DMV

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Hey guys, I have more random questions about our vehicles... My cars a 2001 Dodge Intrepid ES, for reference. Here goes:

2) I will soon have a approximately 1000 watt audio system. Would this affect gas mileage at all? What about alternator/battery/belt wear?
I have a 1000 plus amp in my 01 ES and 2 12" DVC woofers, and the gas is the same. As to the alt, well I don't have my amp maxed out but i'm sure it's putting more than normal wear on it... My lights doesn't dem when the bass hits at all.

4) What could possible cause the feeling of the steering wheel being easier to turn to the left than to the right? Could be that low pressure tire, or it needs to be aligned!

5) Is it worth it to change a tire if it is a very slow leak and only has to be filled every few weeks? I actually think its the last Goodyear GA on the car, the dealer put 3 new LEE mud/snow tires on upon purchase. Maybe not, you should buy a tire lug kit and forget about it!

7) What exactly does an alignment do? I realize it straightens the steering and suspension somehow but what exactly is moved/adjusted? An Alignment, straightens the tires and makes them wear evenly, And your car don't have camber but only toe adjustment onthe front and rear....

8) Would the car be easier to steer with lowered tire pressure or higher tire pressure? High pressure

9) Is side exhaust illegal? Not to my knowlage

10) Can you get pulled over/ticketed for a loud audio system? Depending on your county/city laws!!!

11) What do you guys have your sub amplifier gain's set at? You will have to set yours based on your system specs (Speakers/woofers), but i have mine set to almost halfway (whatever that means), and my remote is set really low, til i want more bass.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info for ya....... :groupgrin

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, very quick and helpful answers. I really appreciate it guys! Rep to you both, and my gratitude.

Stay tuned... I'll put up a new sig thread when i get my digicam and system probably late september. Also hopefully new brakes and an alignment.

Josiah

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with the notion that a powerful sound system doesn't affect gas mileage. This has been argued about before and the actual effect on gas mileage may be negligible. But the extra load on the alternator DOES create more resistance, thus eating up more gasoline.

From gas-mileage-tips.com...
The load that the alternator places on the engine varies according to the load the electrical system is placing on the alternator. If you’ve ever seen your headlights dim a bit or heard the engine slow slightly when you turn on your heater fan or rear window defogger, you’ve seen the effects of increased load on the alternator. The engine will usually idle itself back up a bit to compensate for the increased load, and that consumes more gas.

The more power load you put on the alternator, the worse your gas mileage will be. The energy to run a big car stereo has to come from somewhere, and it’s coming from your gas tank.
This topic was also covered in one of Click and Clack's recent articles about how the electrical load on the alternator does, in fact, affect gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
JoeKD, on the side exhaust issue with your last post, isn't that because that's factory on the vehicle and can get around those law, like the clear taillights in the lexus suvs and darker tint than certain state laws allow

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Ill take on the lighting ones

JLWX5 said:
1) Is there actually clearcoat on the headlights? If I get new headlights how can I stop this from peeling or hazing?

Yes there is. its more of a urethane clear coat like the ones found on hardwood floors and the car's body. Most body shops would be able to supply this clear as well. The best way to prevent hazing is to keep them out of the sun. My headlights are now 31/2 years old and they look like new even before i swapped them LOL. They were always garaged at home and at school. I believe those black gto style covers may also help if you decide against the 3m filt which is sold in clear as well to protect photos.

3) Can we put normal HID kits in place of our regular bulbs without any modification? For example a HID H3 kit for my foglights? Whats involved in this?

For the low beam YES. For the fogs, yes but with little mods. The reflector has a little metal cover. Check the how tos to find out how to remove that llittle chrome "reflector" as its referred to. The hid bulb is a little longer than the h3, so the bulb will hit that metal cover if its not removed. THe rear cover from the foglight also needs a hole to be drilled in the case for the hid bulb and wires to fit through. You will be amazed how small our fog lights are. After that is done you are ready to go. The lows are direct swap with a kit setup since the headlights have a certain amount of room behind them. A harness is recommended with hid for fogs and lows due to the high startup amperage. Also stick with oem ballasts and rebased bulbs. Search "denso 9006" on ebay, a guy integra9006hid should come up, that is a reliable setup for our cars.

12) How do you remove Rain-X from a treated window?
IT will come off over time without any work. Generally even a carwash will give the windshield some wax and make the wipers slip. Ive had rain x on and its great, just kills the wipers function. Rubbing alcohol should do the trick if you get tired of scrubbing LOL.

Josiah
I like the side mirror tint, i think ill try that sometime soon over the summer. Probably green or blue would look the best on our cars.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Apcsox said:
JoeKD, on the side exhaust issue with your last post, isn't that because that's factory on the vehicle and can get around those law, like the clear taillights in the lexus suvs and darker tint than certain state laws allow
Well i think he means in like legal / illegal conditions. I mean "technically" any modification is illegal to a car from stock(even hid headlights.. ie PNP). Some mods you can get away with but as long as the general look is kept the same, basically keeping the car clean and free from unwanted attention.

I personally think the side exhaust is really pointless for the intrepid, i mean its not a coupe nor a muscle car so it would look really akward. REar dual tips, fine. But side is too much.

So yes IMO its illegal since its a major mod and i dont think the body can accommodate the pipes on the side. Its surely a legal and safety issue that may cause u problems if u decide to sell the car later.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Side exhaust is only legal if it's stock.........If you want to have them, I THINK that the tips have to be coming out behind the rear wheels to be legal.........So the viper, mustang, AC cobra (kit car) and so on are legal to have that because, it's stock You should call your local car inspection office and ask them to be sure........

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Joe is pretty much correct. The exhaust has to exit a certain distance behind the last window that opens. Side exit exhaust is NOT illegal, but it only fits certain applications. That's why you can buy 50-state legal side exit exhaust systems for Mustangs. I even had a side exit on one of my TBirds...got to be too much noise in the cabin though... :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First I'd like to say thanks to all those who dropped by and offered information and advice, I sincerely appreciate the help. Except for IntrepidBus... no one really wants to hear from him... :grlaugh:

I was actually just thinking about that side exhaust idea today and decided against it. I know a guy at work who is taking an automotive course and can weld, bend pipe, etc. He offered to make a custom exhaust for me for free if i buy muffler(s) and tip(s), thats why I was toying with exhaust ideas. He still makes fun of me because its such a quiet car lol. My main concern is how it will affect trading in/selling the car. Even though some mods add flare and seem to add value to a car, anything thats not OEM is usually to its detriment, or so i hear. I'm thinking either this spring or summer I might try a dual muffler dual tip setup... we both decided it would look cool to take off the resonators/mufflers, make a "y" shape pipe in the middle area, going out to 2 mufflers with tips shortly after the muffler, so basically our stock setup, but with another muffler on the other side and no previous muffler/resonator.

I am still on the fence about the HID's. They are a smidge expensive, but they seem like a more practical mod. Not that all my mods are going to be practical, but you know what i mean. I'd like at least the lows to be HIDs and if I can afford it/figure it out, make the H3s HIDs as well. I hear that most HIDs will actually use less power than a standard bulb, but I'd like to hear opinions about this too. I'm considering something around 8500K like my old ricer blue foglight bulbs. It was just enough blue to make it look neat but still had a nice bright light to it. Also if its less blue I'll hopefully be less likely to have police issues with it. Also, a reply above stated I wouldn't be able to directly replace the High Beams with HIDs... is it a difficult process or is it even possible at all? Would it be too bright?

About the mirrors.. I loved how the blue tint looked on my brothers old GTI that was 'modded' by a previous owner. I didn't like the red and green dome lights though :). This mod will probably be done when I have a little extra cheddar lying around.

About the Rain-X.. I enjoy using rain-x products on my car, simply because if you use the wiper fluid they make and/or the Rain-X blades, they constantly apply more of the Rain-X compound to the windshield. I think it makes it a lot easier to see in the rain, but can mist up a little at times, almost like it attracts the water from the air. A note: nobody buy those "tripledge" wipers that they sell at walmart!!! They smear like crazy and leave nasty film after they wipe. I love Rain-X wipers but they didn't have my sizes so I used these and am highly dissappointed.

Ok... I'm almost done spilling my ideas. I'll leave you to post your opinions on anything that was said so far, I'll be back later with more questions if they come up.

Josiah

·
Registered
19,643 Posts
A ground wire upgrade kit might resolve any power, dimming, mileage issues that you may have. Some members have actually put bigger altenators in thier cars ,but I think the stock alt provides plenty of current for any kind of stereo application, as long as everything is properly grounded, and you use the right power/ground cables for your amp.

Ground wire kits

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Theres plenty of good bolts in the trunk area you can use for grounding as long as you clean them up good. Remember, you always want to keep your ground as short as possible too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.