DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to get your hopes up, but it's not a new TJ

As some of you may know, I've been looking to get a nice bike for a while now. After much searching and researching, I've chosen the Devinci brand because it's designed and engineered in Canada. There was Rocky Mountain also, but there's only one Rocky Mountain supplier here in Windsor, and I'm not too fond of that supplier.

I chose the Coyote because it was in my price range ($500-$700, the bike was $649), and it looked good. I'm finally posting now because I didn't get pictures until tonight.

My new Devinci Coyote

SR Suntour SF-XC60 100mm Forks

Hayes MX-2 XC 6" mechanical disc brakes

Shimano HG30 8s 11-30T Cassette

From what you can see, there is some evidence of being out on the trails already, but tomorrow is when I REALLY test it's ability. Tomorrow is Victoria Day in Canada, so most of us have the day off and I'll be taking this on the trail for 3 to 4 hours or so.

Currently, all pics are available here. More information on my bike is available here

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sweet bike man!

And for shits and giggles in one of the pictures it says "DO NOT REMOVE THIS LABEL".

Be a rebel and remove it. You know you want to.

Come on, Stock04Intrepid, everyone's doing it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kcarlos2000 said:
Nice bike but I think that you should debadge that baby and then get us some pics of with some mud on it....
I head out in less than 1 hour for the trail. Mud shots (sorry, post trail shots only) will hopefully be available tonight.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Does that thing have the 4.0L I-6 or a HEMI in it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nice! Disc brakes on a bike! Friggin sweet!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I know I said I'd have pictures, but it was so cold and wet out today, we didn't go through the trails. We just went downtown and found some stairs to climb/descend, tried some jumps (made me wish I had a soft tail), and had some basic fun.

I hope it warms up and stops raining this week long enough for me to enjoy my bike in the warm warm sun.

·
Registered
255 Posts
creepingdeath said:
Nice! Disc brakes on a bike! Friggin sweet!
If i'm not mistaken, disc brakes on a mountain bike is because the rim of the wheel gets really slick and muddy going through the trails, right?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
bevil said:
If i'm not mistaken, disc brakes on a mountain bike is because the rim of the wheel gets really slick and muddy going through the trails, right?
The only reason i would think.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bevil said:
Better braking in wet and muddy weather. Easier to stop because of it's rotational mass.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
Better braking in wet and muddy weather. Easier to stop because of it's rotational mass.
and discs require a larger surface area because of a shorter moment arm as opposed to cantilevered brakes on teh rim.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
concordia said:
and discs require a larger surface area because of a shorter moment arm as opposed to cantilevered brakes on teh rim.
Requires a larger clamping force.

Hard to imagine, but mathematically (and according to my experiments), the force of friction applied to a surface is independant of the area through which it is applied. Because of the shorter moment arm (compared to cantilever brakes), more clamping force is required, and the size/shape affects the center of this applied force (which determines the moment arm, which determines the clamping force). The larger surface doesn't necessarially stop you faster, it only reduces concentrated wear on the disc, and the more material takes longer to wear out.

Unfortunatly, because it's cable (and not yet hydraulic), cable stretch means I can't easially lock up the front tire like I used to be able to. I'll bring it in for one of those free tune-ups in a couple weeks (I want all the cables to stretch before it's re-tuned).

RiCeDoUt said:
i hate you all right now, june 12th will be sweet
what's june 12th?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Wow, that's a neat bike......I haven't ridden a bike since I was 18 though ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hmm, I wonder what MODS will be done to this now...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
what's june 12th?
me returning to my bikes from this over 100 degree hell (40 celsius for you canucks). Actually I love it here but I want my bikes and my friends all went home so I am bitter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts