DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a DA-LITE projection screen I sold on Craigslist, and the guy that bought it wanted me to drop it off in Sioux Falls, SD... so I gave him a price to cover my fuel and hotel stay, and we made a deal.

Then I realised, _I_ had to get it to Sioux Falls (6 or 7 hour drive!). How am I going to transport a 113" long, 8 inch square aluminum BOX!

In my Geo Metro, with the Cargo Conversion installed of course!!!

(if the Intrepid had folding rear seats, I may have taken that, and my Mini-Van is out of commission for now... so I enjoyed the fuel economy of the Metro anyway).

I'll post a link to the album of the photos and videos I took of Falls Park in Sioux Falls in the next post. If you go exploring my webshots albums from there, you'll see pictures of the screen too.

:worky:

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The box is 113.5 inches long, the usable cargo length of the Metro with all of the seats out (besides the drivers seat) is only 103 inches... so the extra 10 inches stuck out the back and was wrapped in a roll of carpet.

The duct tape is covering a couple of plastic trash bags... NO, I did not stick THAT much tape to my car... The tape is ONLY on the glass (easy to clean) or to the black plastic mounting edge of the tail lights (not on the red lense)... except for 2 six inch long strips above the rear window... but those will be easier to clean than if I stuck ALL of the tape to paint...

I sure got some strange looks from people passing me on the interstate.

The little car did great on the drive, did 75 when I needed it to! I love it when it only takes 6 gallons to fill the tank!

The only thing bad about it is that my slowly leaking front crank timing seal became a FAST LEAKING SEAL (or NOT seal). So, another #(@#$ project to push my Intrepid re-power project back!

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the pictures of Falls Park... Never realised there was actually something to LOOK at... I lived in Cedar Rapids, Iowa for 25 years, and you can't really ever see the 'rapids' any more... so I didn't think twice about Sioux Falls! Very pretty... I only wish I could have seen it at night with all the holiday decorations up...

Anyway, here's the album... 60 photos, and 5 videos... if you watch the videos, TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN, the audio codec the site uses is screwy... but if you download and play in iTunes or something, it should be fine.

{click the thumbnail to go to my webshots album}

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
ROFL that's awesome. Glad it worked out! I'm sure you received some odd looks along the way.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why didn't you just take out the rear seat of your trep? its like....three bolts
Rear seats in the Intrepid is LIKE 3 bolts... it is 4 bolts to be exact... but then you've got the x bracing, etc... then it is another 4 bolts for the front seat plus a wire harness... Removing the seats in the Metro was actually 9 bolts total, but needed removed for cleaning anyways and I wanted to see what the seat mounting was like, I'm going to be seeing about installing a spare pair of Intrepid leather front seats I have.

That and the Intrepid is the only car that has room for the car seats that my wife can easily get the kids in and out of... (truthfully, that is the MAIN reason, and 75% of why I took the Geo Cargo... but I also took it for the better fuel mileage)

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I'd have thought ahead, I'd have realised one of the two routes I can take would have driven me right past your place... but I've not had a chance to pick up your parts anyways. HEhehehe

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those old Metros have a habit of oil leaks,, but front seal? a hour to replace,, tops,,
Yea, I ended up having to change the timing belt on the side of Hwy 30 about 15 minutes west of Cedar Rapids once... Did it all with a CHEAP import tool set in a vinyl zipper pouch and a Swiss Army Knife. I saw the seal was leaking then, and I have known it was leaking for a while, but it looks like the seal has completely given way now. Shouldn't be hard to change at all.

The only other leak that it had was a pesky distributor leak... I couldn't get ANY o-ring to seal, so I marked the timing good on the outside of the distributor housing and RTV'd it shut.

I bought the car as a "1992 Geo Basket-case". Got it towed home after paying for it, it was just a bare block and crank, needed everything re-assembled on it. I took the time to clean up the block, installed the new pistons, rings, and crank bearings, and then assembled the bottom end completely. I took the time to clean up all the passages in the head (the EGR tube was completely impacted), and installed it. Been a great car besides the oil leaks.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
How long before it shows up on one of those sites that shows very odd road sights? lol!

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got the screen for free, so anything I sold it for was profit... and I made sure the delivery charge I asked for would cover my fuel both ways and a hotel stay... so I made out o.k... I should have asked more for the screen, but oh well, it's done and out of my garage...

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I need to go out there and get the little bit of tape off the body, but the tape on the glass doesn't bother me.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them of the 'aftermath' of having the 'cargo mod' installed.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, here is the aftermath of removing the Duct Tape...

Here is the only spot on the paint I need to address... Sure, I'm lazy and busy and haven't gotten around to cleaning it up, but I'm thinking Skin-So-Soft personally.

Here is what most of the tape was stuck to, and this will be easy to clean with any brake-clean type product.

Here is one other spot on the paint, but I wasn't too worried about it because it is generally hidden behind the hatch... but I'll clean it up too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts