DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so my battery died this morning, dead as a doorknob. it was the OE battery and it lasted for 4 years so i wasn't too upset, i knew it was coming. anyway, i installed a new one and the car busted right up and proceeded to sputter dead. i fired it up again and instead of revving to 1500 like normal, it revved to about 900 then hovered there so i repeated again and same results. i figured fair enough cuz the engine was hot and all.

so anyway, i drove home and when i parked i noticed that the engine was idling slow, like 500 rpms. i kicked it up to about 1000 and let off the gas and it sputtered down to about 300 and then saved itself. it had never done this before. so i did some experimenting and every time i let the gas drop off from more than about 1000 rpms or so it would sputter down to 300 and then rev back up to about 500 or 600. it didn't seem to be running rough. any ideas?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Hmm. sounds like there is an extreme load being applied to the engine somewhere. does it feel like it isn't as peppy anymore? I think it might be an alternator that is shot. that would explain the battery dying, and if the alternator was shorted, or the bearings were bad, that would also explain the rough idle

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
thats what i was thinking....
bad alternator.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My car does the exact same thing! I hate it, I'm afraid to rev it up because sometimes it wont catch itself, and die. I also have my alternator running full speed non stop because of my system, and the deep cycle battery/and 2 capacitors that it has to charge up. It wines here and there when it struggles. I wander if the alternator is the problem?? I'm not sure, my dad thought it was the fuel injectors, My cars in the shop getting practically everything done too it(including new injectors) so we will see what happens, next will be alternator..

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my guess right now is the cables to the battery, since that is when all the trouble started. the old terminals were soldered on to the wires so i had to cut them, then peel the wrapping back and then install them. it took a little tugging. i assume what happened is that some of the strands broke internally and all i'm attached to at the terminal is broken ends of the strands. so we'll try this and see if it works.

so i guess i'm walking until monday when that set of wires comes in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This sort of thing happened to me when I replaced my battery, It seems that when you disconnect the battery the computer has to learn everything all over again,after a few miles of driving, everything was fine again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts