DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I’m looking for any advice or comments about brake pads and rotors for a 2002 dodge intrepid SE. I’ve been having brake problems since I had to do the first replacement. I didn’t know much about this type of car and the problems with the brakes. At about 60k miles, my car was due for a front brake job. Therefore, I took the OE rotors and turned them and paired them with some satisfied ceramic brake pads. That lasted about 9 months; I got a lot of warping. I didn’t know that the factory rotors were crap; otherwise, I’d have gotten new rotors. Personally, I didn’t like the performance of the satisfied pads since the beginning. They do create very little dust though (just my opinion). Anyways, I decided to get some duralast rotors and some raybestos PG plus ceramic pads (not the QS ceramic). I immediately liked the performance and very little dust. The reasons for getting the duralast rotors were the 2-year warranty (which includes warping issues), I have successfully used them in the past in another car, and because a friend told me that they take a very good beating on light track use. Well, another 9 months later and I have the same warping problems! The only thing I do is in town driving but I am very harsh on my brakes. My rear brakes are now due too, and I’m looking for some comments about the following combination.

FRONT PADS: Raybestos PG plus semi-metallic or Raybestos SuperStop semi-metallic.
FRONT ROTORS: New duralast rotors (I plan to take the warped ones in for exchange).
REAR PADS: Raybestos PG Plus semi-metallic.
REAR ROTORS: Uknown at this point. Open to suggestions.

In addition, I was thinking about replacing the front calipers with some raybestos calipers for making sure everything is working fine. Do you people think I should forget about those duralast rotors and start looking for other better ones? if so, which ones? Any comments on raybestos pads? I’m sorta short in cash right now. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
If you liked the PG Plus ceramic pads, why change to the semi-met pads? Although if you are hard on your brakes, you are most likely heating those bad boys up. So a semi-met pad would be a better option for you.

As for rotors, at least get the Raybestos PG Plus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's what i was thinking. I might be heating up those rotors way too much, so that's why i want to step down to semi-metallic. By the way, i just found the package in which those duralast rotors came in, and they appear to be related to brake parts inc., which, i far as i know, they are the guys from raybestos?Any comments on those superstop pads?THX

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
MARAUDER2003 said:
Yeah, that's what i was thinking. I might be heating up those rotors way too much, so that's why i want to step down to semi-metallic. By the way, i just found the package in which those duralast rotors came in, and they appear to be related to brake parts inc., which, i far as i know, they are the guys from raybestos?Any comments on those superstop pads?THX
It wouldn't surprise me if Raybestos supplied the Duralast rotors, at least some of them. But keep in mind Raybestos also has a "value" line from where they source rotors from China. I believe Duralast would come from China. But I can't say that is true across all models. The Raybestos PG line is the premium line. The rotors for our cars should be made in Canada.

As for the SuperStop pads...no personal experience but they are their "heavy duty" and "fleet" pads.

·
Premium Member
15,510 Posts
ok I personally like Wagner thermo quiet pads wagner also is in the caliper buss to now and it seems to be a very good product, at least we havent had any problems with them,, as far as rotors go,, dont be cheap with the bucks and stay away from the crap from china tiwan etc,, get some good made in canada ones oh and one more thing 100 ft pounds of torque on the lug nuts ,, with a torque wrench,, not a air gun
good luck
Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.