DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
At this point it doesn't matter. You got **** parts and they failed in a short amount of time.

Complain to Tenneco/Monroe. On here we already know these particular parts are crap. Not sure what you're expecting out of us and the Forum?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
People that previously had problems with the Monroe Crapstruts indicated they had to deal with Monroe/Tenneco directly for Warranty. This includes people that purchased from RockAuto. Read the thread from the beginning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
At this point it doesn't matter. You got **** parts and they failed in a short amount of time.

Complain to Tenneco/Monroe. On here we already know these particular parts are crap. Not sure what you're expecting out of us and the Forum?
Not expecting a thing from this forum. I wasn't aware of the problem until it happened to me. Came to the forum to research if any other people had problems and added my 2 cents. Isn't that what the Forum is for? I am in a dispute with Rock Auto with the BBB as I speak. They are telling the Better Business Bureau of Wisconsin that its just too bad that the defect showed up in a months time but they are not making good on it. Think about it. What company out there will sell you something and if it goes bad right away tries to stick it to you? Well Rock Auto is trying to do that to me and they have been aware of the problem for years based on what I found out on this forum. I want the BBB to come to this forum and read all these posts about the Defective Monroe Struts and how long this has been going on. I want my Credit Card Company to come to this forum and read the same. Not looking as I said earlier for the forum to do anything. It already did something by documenting all of the complaints going back years of Monroe Struts on Dodge Intrepids not being made properly. The BBB needs to see this and Rock Auto needs to change how they do business. If there is NO Warranty on a product it should be on the ordering line so you see it before you press to ORDER the item. I wasn't born yesterday. If I would of known No Warranty I surely would of never ordered them. How stupid do they think people are?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Not expecting a thing from this forum. I wasn't aware of the problem until it happened to me. Came to the forum to research if any other people had problems and added my 2 cents. Isn't that what the Forum is for? I am in a dispute with Rock Auto with the BBB as I speak. They are telling the Better Business Bureau of Wisconsin that its just too bad that the defect showed up in a months time but they are not making good on it. Think about it. What company out there will sell you something and if it goes bad right away tries to stick it to you? Well Rock Auto is trying to do that to me and they have been aware of the problem for years based on what I found out on this forum. I want the BBB to come to this forum and read all these posts about the Defective Monroe Struts and how long this has been going on. I want my Credit Card Company to come to this forum and read the same. Not looking as I said earlier for the forum to do anything. It already did something by documenting all of the complaints going back years of Monroe Struts on Dodge Intrepids not being made properly. The BBB needs to see this and Rock Auto needs to change how they do business. If there is NO Warranty on a product it should be on the ordering line so you see it before you press to ORDER the item. I wasn't born yesterday. If I would of known No Warranty I surely would of never ordered them. How stupid do they think people are?
Agree, their response to my issue "your car must be bent" to quote the jackass at the Monroe support line. My whole reason for posting this thread was to get the word out there and let everyone I can possibly tell know that this product is crap. I wasted hundreds of dollars. Warranty denied as well. There are many good companies out there that will stand behind their product and this is not one of them.

Nothing the forum can do other than get the word out, and warn as many people as possible before they make the same mistake we did. If nothing else, he tells his story, the next guy that comes along who is looking quick struts can read it, and hopefully NOT buy this junk.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
Bummer Dewd!

Luckily you didn't buy the more expensive version of Monroe/Tenneco crapola.

Good luck in a resolution.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Bummer Dewd!

Luckily you didn't buy the more expensive version of Monroe/Tenneco crapola.

Good luck in a resolution.
Yeah, he's got the BBB involved and his credit card company so maybe he'll get farther than I did. I didnt go that far, should have.

IIRC I was eventually able to return the fronts and get a partial refund but no free replacement....after the failure on the first pair....still out IIRC around $700 for repairs, alignments, etc in addition to the original purchase of the junk.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well its been close to a month since I posted here as to what has happened with my Strut problem. The BBB did nothing. Just listened to both party's and shut the case down. Should be up for viewing on the BBB of Wisconsin"s website. They really don't have much power. They are just a in-between. In the mean time I haven't heard anymore from my Credit Card company either. They gave me a credit in the mean time and was suppose to investigate my claim. Hoping they protect me from this sale of a inferior New Monroe Economatic Strut that went bad in a months time. It went bad before my payment was do. I had paid for it weeks before as I do with all my credit cards. Some will probably remember I was told by Rock Auto customer service that the Monroe Economatics were guaranteed for 90 days. I was ok with that when I first started buying them over 2 years ago. I felt they were good for a older car with a lot of miles on it. The reason I purchased them for my Intrepid with 115k miles on it and 17 years old. I figured 90 days was more then enough time for a part not to fail. Didn't figure one would fail in 30 days. Rock Auto argued telling the BBB that I should of sent them back in 30 days. I guess they don't understand the time and labor to disconnect one and be without the car. At that point I wasn't a 100% sure if the Drivers Side Strut was the problem. The noise coming from the front end started at about 2-1/2-3 weeks. Being I used to be in the Auto Parts Business and retired 5 years ago I wanted to take the car to a few repair shops that I use to deal with for their opinion. Took it to 3 shops and they all told me the same thing that the Passenger Side Strut top bearing was shot. It was too hard for me to believe. 2 of the shops had me step out of the car and put my hand on top of the strut and feel as well as hear where the noise was coming from while someone turned the steering wheel. Sure enough they were right. They weren't surprised they have seen it plenty of times where a brand new part failed. This was a first for me with a New Strut. Hope it is the last time. Won't buy another without a written warranty. I should mention I even mentioned this on the Monroe Face Book page. They told me there to put a message on the right side of their FB page and they would send me a link and Monroe would look into this. All a bunch of bull. I did everything they said and not one response back from Monroe. I went back a couple of times after weeks started going by with no response from the person running Monroe's FB Page. It is still up there from when I last looked. Unreal. I am really starting to hate Monroe the Company now and I use to sell their products years ago. They weren't like that back then. Haven't purchased any more parts from Rock Auto either. I could never do to a customer what they did to me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had the blue monroe ecomatic in my car for almost 2 years now with no problems. I had to retorque the top strut nuts to factory specs but that's it. I talked to a few technicians at work and they said it's pretty common that they have to retorque the top nut, sounds like something you should check when you are done the job anyways. Not sure why you had such problems with yours

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had the blue monroe ecomatic in my car for almost 2 years now with no problems. I had to retorque the top strut nuts to factory specs but that's it. I talked to a few technicians at work and they said it's pretty common that they have to retorque the top nut, sounds like something you should check when you are done the job anyways. Not sure why you had such problems with yours

Well if you read through this whole article on this forum from the beginning you will see many others had the same problem with Monroe Struts mounted on a Dodge Intrepid through the years. Many here claimed that Monroe was aware of the problem also. I surely wasn't the only one. Just curious where did you purchase your Monroe Economatic Struts from and what did they tell you about warranty on the product? Were you told 90 days like I was told by Rock Auto? Let us know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got them from advance auto, the warranty I'm not sure, this thread is a couple years old. I know some people have retorqued them and they have been ok. I torqued mine when I installed them, but had to do it again a couple months later too. Wonder if yours was loose long enough to destroy the mount. I feel like the strut has to be driven on a while so the suspension settles and retorqued, after that second time they have been ok though

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got them from advance auto, the warranty I'm not sure, this thread is a couple years old. I know some people have retorqued them and they have been ok. I torqued mine when I installed them, but had to do it again a couple months later too. Wonder if yours was loose long enough to destroy the mount. I feel like the strut has to be driven on a while so the suspension settles and retorqued, after that second time they have been ok though

Yes this thread is a couple of years old but my problem is recent. I found this thread when I was looking on the net for answers. Wanted to see if it happened to anyone else. This happened in my wife"s car after a little over 3 weeks when the noise started. I should not of had to retorque anything in 3 weeks. I wasn't even sure if the strut was the problem at first. The mounting nuts up on top were plenty tight when I replaced the defect and so far so good with the replacement. Have no idea if the center nut that holds the strut together loosened up or not. No one even suggested it and I brought it to 3 repair shops to diagnose the problem. Neither did Rock Auto Customer service when I called them about it and they basically told me to go piss up a rope.

·
Premium Member
16,449 Posts
This may or may not help, but some have found that it helps the top nut to clamp the strut rod to the bearing if you add a washer under the nut. I forget the size, but the SAE grade 8 washer of a particular size is a nice close but clearance fit to the metric strut rod thread, and the washer OD is relatively small. Stan Walker (RIP) discovered that tip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This may or may not help, but some have found that it helps the top nut to clamp the strut rod to the bearing if you add a washer under the nut. I forget the size, but the SAE grade 8 washer of a particular size is a nice close but clearance fit to the metric strut rod thread, and the washer OD is relatively small. Stan Walker (RIP) discovered that tip.
Nice to know if you have had your struts for awhile say a couple of years. In my case it was 3 weeks that the passenger side started making the noise. I was told by Monroe that the Economatic Quick Struts I was buying from them were guaranteed for 90 Days whereas the Monroe Quick Struts had a lifetime guarantee. Took me a little while to pinpoint the problem with the help of 3 repair shops so I didn't get to contact Rock Auto until the 6th week. Rock Customer Service told the better business bureau that I should of sent them back before 30 days were up. lol. My big Gripe with them is they didn't warranty them at 45 days which was half of the 90 day time warranty I was quoted by them.

Funny I just saw that Advance Auto warranties the Economatic Struts for 1 year. Rock Auto told me there was no warranty on them this past June of 2017 when I told them of my problem. Unbelievabe.

Monroe Econo-Matic Complete Strut Assembly
Read 1 Reviews
Part No. 181668
1 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
Exact Fit for your 2000 Dodge Intrepid

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok I have some good news for everyone reading here. I won my dispute through my credit card company with the online merchant who sold me the Monroe Economatic Strut that became defective in less then a month. I just found out late this afternoon by email.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
It appears that the Econo-Matic warranty is dependant on Retailers. If you buy from AA it's one year. With O'reilly's it's a "Limited Lifetime Warranty". And so on. Looks like the warranty is set by the end retailer.

I'm guessing Rock Auto got burned on Econo-Matic Struts enough times that they instituted the 90 day policy.

It's still a PITA to take a defective one out and exchange it especially if it's your only vehicle. Good that you got a settlement on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It appears that the Econo-Matic warranty is dependant on Retailers. If you buy from AA it's one year. With O'reilly's it's a "Limited Lifetime Warranty". And so on. Looks like the warranty is set by the end retailer.

I'm guessing Rock Auto got burned on Econo-Matic Struts enough times that they instituted the 90 day policy.

It's still a PITA to take a defective one out and exchange it especially if it's your only vehicle. Good that you got a settlement on it.
Thanks I agree with everything you said above but Rock claims they have no warranty on the Econo-Matic Struts anymore not even 90 days. Who is going to want to buy them from Rock now even if it is for a different vehicle? It surely pays to check what kind of warranty you are getting especially if you buy online in writing. I still have a brand new set of 4 Monroe Quick Struts fronts and shocks rear that I purchased from Rock for my daughters 2007 Mustang that I haven't installed as of yet. Purchased them before I had the problem with Rock. Purchased them when I did to get the $70 rebate on buying the 4 pc set all at once for the car. The ones on the car are originals and the car still sits really nice no sag but I don't like the ride so much now and it has 122K miles on the originals. To look at them they still look New. Hope the Monroe Quick Struts don't disappoint although they have a lifetime guarantee on them. Hope it never comes to me having to use the guarantee with Rock.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Installed the USED strut assemblies on the car today. Thanks to Dr.Dodge for supplying them. At least the car is back on the road. Rides much better. Not so stiff.

Here is what the aftermarket drivers side strut did to the OEM bearing.....:hulk: :hulk:

Pretty much the same as before, except it did not break completely this time. The passenger side looked ok.....but both are going back to rock auto for a refund of some sort....:banghead:

That "new" quick strut had to be bent, or improperly assembled causing a bind with the mount and bearing...not sure how this could happen any other way.
This post above is from 3/21/2012. 5.7 years ago. Hard to believe that much time has passed.

The used low mile Mopar used front struts that Tom provided me are still on the car. Still in good shape. At least a good ~40K miles on them.

Rears have since been replaced (see previous posts) after blowing the mounts after 3.5 years. Replaced cartridges with Gabriel and mounts with Moog---since original mounts were $300 each---no worries since; harvested the springs from an old rear LH axle I had out back; only thing I reused from the Raybestos quickstruts were the rubber isolators; the only good part of them....car rides great, all is still well with that.

I have since never installed nor will install an aftermarket quick strut again; on my car, or anyone else's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't know how many of you saw whats new up at Rock? My complaint to the Better Business Bureau months ago must of paid off for everyone. I told the BBB that Rock needs to show if the item they are selling has a warranty on it or not on the same line you are ordering the part on. Was up just the other night looking for 4 shocks for a 2000 Mercury Marquis. I saw they are now doing that on all shocks and struts that they sell. Funny the Monroe Matics say NO-Warranty now where they never showed it before. Will never buy Monroe Matics again especially their Quick Struts for any vehicle. By the way the fight was well worth the effort I must say for those who remember reading about it here. I won my case with them on the Monroe Matic Quick Strut that went bad in a months time not with the BBB on paper but by other means. Rock fought tooth and nail with me not wanting to make good on it after telling me before I ordered them that they warranted them for 90 days.

·
Premium Member
16,449 Posts
Don't know how many of you saw whats new up at Rock? My complaint to the Better Business Bureau months ago must of paid off for everyone. I told the BBB that Rock needs to show if the item they are selling has a warranty on it or not on the same line you are ordering the part on. Was up just the other night looking for 4 shocks for a 2000 Mercury Marquis. I saw they are now doing that on all shocks and struts that they sell. Funny the Monroe Matics say NO-Warranty now where they never showed it before. Will never buy Monroe Matics again especially their Quick Struts for any vehicle. By the way the fight was well worth the effort I must say for those who remember reading about it here. I won my case with them on the Monroe Matic Quick Strut that went bad in a months time not with the BBB on paper but by other means. Rock fought tooth and nail with me not wanting to make good on it after telling me before I ordered them that they warranted them for 90 days.
Kudos to you for that effort.

Even without a warranty, there is such a thing in the legal world as an "implied warranty of merchantability", which means that even if a product has no warranty per-se, it has to have some reasonable expectation of useability - IOW, can't fail 2 hours after it is installed. Proving it and collecting on it is another matter. And of course only worth going to court about if it's a relatively high dollar item.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Posted in 2015 (so probably installed in 2014):
Its been approximately 15k miles ago. Last year was when I installed them.

KYB SR4061 and KYB SR4060 were the parts I had used. Mounts are quiet. It was weird. one mount was a matte black, and one was glossy black. Other then that, no differences between the struts, but honestly I haven't heard a peep from them since installing.
I just purchased the KYB set from rockauto based on that quote.
I was going to go with the Gabriel Ready Mount but looks like they're not available anymore.

181 - 200 of 215 Posts