DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thats why I HATE selling these dam things.

I'm in the Aftermarket parts business and after seeing all the customer issues
along with my own personal experiences , I'd rather not sell them.

The tough part is that the competition is and your forced to .

Any chance I have , I'll take the extra time and try and convince the customer
that their much better off buying a quality KYB strut and rebuilding their old one.

A used car lot type of product ,,,,,,,, just as long as you and I don't shop there :}

·
Registered
153 Posts
So, a quick update on these piece of **** struts.

I have had a bad noise over bumps in the rear for a good 6-7 months now. Back in the spring I inspected and found a broken sway bar link...aftermarket crap installed when the struts were changed....replaced with Mopar....but the noise continued. I barely drive the car now so its not a big deal...

The rear mounts have failed. Both sides.

So basically, these cheap ass, junk crap aftermarket parts...once again, have failed after only 3.5 years.....but the original Mopar struts lasted from 1998-2011.

The used struts that Dr.Tom got me for the front are still fine -- go figure...but now the POS aftermarket rears will need to be serviced again. Not sure how I am going to handle this, or even if I am going to at this point. I'd be happy with a set of used struts for the rear...hell, a used set of OEM rear struts with 200K on them would probably ride better than this aftermarket crap. Might be a boat ride, but no hammering noises...

Dont buy this crap. Spend the money, do it right. Working for an OEM dealer I can tell you right now, there are quality levels...OEM vs aftermarket...know what you are buying...and you get what you pay for.... I cant stress it enough...learn from my nightmare. LOL. :worms:
When I spoke with monroe they said if the replacement is installed by a shop and you send the failed one in, they will investigate to see if it was a problem with the strut or something else. Basically just seeing if it was their fault it failed. If they determine it was they'll foot the shop bill...

Yea, no way I was going to risk them saying it wasn't their fault...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Whether you're going to keep the car for 6 months or 6 years, some of the utter crap aftermarket parts are just downright dangerous and should be totally avoided. It's amazing how the companies that put the vehicles together are regulated so aggressively yet these aftermarket parts which are crap, unsafe, and what I consider a form of fraud are just allowed to be sold with no apparent consequence.

Most of them like my Anchor ones or the Raybestos / Monroe ones here will just give
you a scripted bs excuse like - " take it back to where you bought it with the original
receipt and they'll refund your money,,, they can send it in to see if there's any manufacturing defects if you'd like "
I agree it's a total joke as our broken one is still out in the garage as I'm sure they'd come
back with the nut on strut shaft wasn't tight or some other excuse.

I can't agree more on these parts suppliers using nothing but chinese junk.
3/4's of the aftermarket parts say made in China on them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can't agree more on these parts suppliers using nothing but chinese junk.
3/4's of the aftermarket parts say made in China on them.
I was quite pleasantly surprised when replacing the trunk and hood lift supports. The replacements were all made in the US, while the OEM was made in China. Even more interesting is the aftermarket ones were made by a company who is owned by the OEM supplier!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I was quite pleasantly surprised when replacing the trunk and hood lift supports. The replacements were all made in the US, while the OEM was made in China. Even more interesting is the aftermarket ones were made by a company who is owned by the OEM supplier!
I'll have to look at mine.

Thats another story. I thought, how could the aftermarket screw up lift supports...I'll get them....well, I got them and installed, the hood lifts would not let the hood close, they were to strong, so I took them back, tried another set, same thing, supposedly the right part number...so I got my money back, picked up a set at the dealer, worked perfect...

Many aftermarket companies make OEM parts, but there are OEM quality standards, and aftermarket quality standards...some stuff is fine, much of it is crap.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes , realistically its the product distributors fault.

They give the specs of the product to the manufacturer , either here or china.

So I'm just throwing out a random example if an oem strut mount is built out of
.040 steel , there's NO law that says the aftermarket one can't be made of .028

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 2 cents. I installed Quick Struts in March 2014. They didn't last long. The past 3 months, front had odd sounds mostly when turning. It was the strut mounts. Since QuickStruts were lifetime warranty, I had an alignment shop remove and replace with new ones. After they were installed, I noticed the new ones don't look the same as the "old" ones (which had a plastic cap on top where the top bolts are). The new ones seemed to be all metal and painted black. I wonder if they redesigned the strut mounts. I'll post again when i have to replace this set.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Over one year since the last post. Can anyone confirm any change in manufacture quality in aftermarket suspension parts?

It seems I have 3 options;
1. 100% replacement with Mopar parts... almost as much money as I gave for the car...
2. Buy quick struts, take them apart, mate them with my mounts, new mopar bearings, become religious
3. Go to the scrap yard, find a compatible model that hasn't been in a wreck, nor appears to have had crapmarket suspension installed, become religious -- just in case.
Edit: 4th option: Stay calm, and carry on. Nothings broken. Ride quality is crap, shocks are shot all around. Get rid of vehicle in 10-12 months.... become religious.

Seems religion is on my horizon.... or a larger life insurance policy.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
Over one year since the last post. Can anyone confirm any change in manufacture quality in aftermarket suspension parts?

It seems I have 3 options;
1. 100% replacement with Mopar parts... almost as much money as I gave for the car...
2. Buy quick struts, take them apart, mate them with my mounts, new mopar bearings, become religious
3. Go to the scrap yard, find a compatible model that hasn't been in a wreck, nor appears to have had crapmarket suspension installed, become religious -- just in case.
Edit: 4th option: Stay calm, and carry on. Nothings broken. Ride quality is crap, shocks are shot all around. Get rid of vehicle in 10-12 months.... become religious.

Seems religion is on my horizon.... or a larger life insurance policy.
I have Gabriels on the car now, havent had a single issue with them. Didnt change a thing, just put them on. Just the strut cartridge only though. I got new Moog rear mounts and used my Mopar front mounts and Mopar springs. The only good reusable pieces on the Raybestos struts were the rubber spring isolators. Also for the rear, I used springs from a set of damaged low mile mopar struts I had laying around to get the raybestos ones off of the rear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If only the aftermarket manufactures could make a quick strut that didn't have to be disassembled to replace with OEM or Moog parts. I must have returned like 3 sets of those Monroe Quick struts. Finally with OEM mounts and bearings they lasted.
I thought that monroe figured it out finally and fixed the top mounts to left and right instead of both one side? I read that somewhere. I put the blue ecomatic on my Concorde in Dec or so, they started to clunk, mainly the drivers side in mid Feb, I tightened them both up, mainly the drivers side, got a good 2 turns or so till it got snug, been fine since. I think the problem now is they don't torque them right. I talked to an old Chrysler tech at my work and he said he hits them with the impact every set he installs, even on his caravan his quick struts clunked after a month or 2 and he hit them with the impact and they have been good for a couple years now

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Sorry folks, thanks to Photobucket now charging an exorbitant amount of money to host pictures third party, I will no longer have links here to ANY pictures. I will be going back and fixing links to some threads and pictures, but that will take an exorbitant amount of time, so until then, if you need a picture of something specific, please ask me and I can send it to you directly. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same problem as so many others

I installed the Monroe Econo-Matic Complete Strut Assembly both fronts and rears on my 2000 Intrepid. Within a months time I started having a problem in my front end. Wasn't sure what it was. The car felt unsafe and the noise coming from the front end was unreal. At first I thought it was coming from the Passenger Side. Thought it was a bad CV Joint. Couldn't understand that happening because I replace both fronts less then 20k miles ago but the passenger side already had a rip in the boot. Replace it with a brand new CV Axle but the noise was still there in the front end. Being in the Auto parts business for 38 years but retired in 2012 I took it to a few repair shops that I use to sell parts to. They all told me the upper bearing on the Passenger strut was shot making the noise. I told them they were brand new a month old. Since I retired I have been buying most parts I need from Rock Auto. I have purchased struts from them before. I have purchased Monroe Quick Struts and Econo Matics. The difference in them is in the price and warranty. Quick Struts have a lifetime warranty on them but you pay more for them. I decided to put the Monroe Econo Matics on my 2000 Intrepid because of the age of the vehicle. It still had the original Mopar complete struts on the car so I felt it was finally time to replace them. Well when you order from Rock Auto everything is done online. No salesman to ask questions. I wanted to know what the warranty would be on the Econo matics so I called direct to Rock Auto and was told they are under a short warranty of 90 days. I thought why not use them. If something is going to happen surely it would happen within 90 days. Well my problem started in a months time. It took me the next 2 weeks to figure out what the problem was. When I found out I called Rock Auto to let them know I had a problem with one of the Struts I purchased from them. They basically told me to go piss up a rope. They told me there was no guarantee on them. I told the customer service rep that I was told differently that they had a 90 day warranty. He then tells me again no warranty. As I mentioned above I was in the Auto Parts Business as a owner for 38 years. Owned a Carquest Auto Parts store for 5 years until I decided to sell the store out to my partner at the time. I then went on the road selling wholesale ever since. Anyway we sold Monroe Shocks in my Auto Parts store. Monroe always had some sort of Warranty back then. I told the Customer service Rep from Rock Auto that you mean to tell me that I buy a brand new Monroe complete Strut Assembly from Rock Auto and in a month and a half you tell me that I have to eat a defective Monroe Strut. He once again told me no warranty. At that point I was about to hang up the phone and told him I would be making a complaint to the better business bureau about the problem. I did. I also called my credit card company and put the incident in dispute. Still hanging waiting for a answer. In the mean time I have been credited back the money I paid for the one strut. Funny when you go up to the Monroe Website they Guarantee their Monroe Shocks and Struts for 90 days as to if you like the ride with them installed or your money back. I had no problem with the ride but the Monroe Strut gave out in a months time. Yet Rock Auto will not warranty it. So that everyone knows I had to purchase another Econo matic elsewhere to put on my wifes car. So far so good. I definitely had a defective Monroe complete strut assembly. The replacement cured the problem but for how long I have no idea. Hopefully my replacement I had to pay out of my pocket for elsewhere will be better then the one I got from Rock Auto.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
. I definitely had a defective Monroe complete strut assembly. The replacement cured the problem but for how long I have no idea. Hopefully my replacement I had to pay out of my pocket for elsewhere will be better then the one I got from Rock Auto.
Was this just recently? Curious if they have fixed the issue or this was the supposed "bad batch" from a few years ago.

I still have not used a Monroe or Raybestos product since my fiasco.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The one that went bad was purchased this April of 2017. I am still in dispute with Rock Auto over the defect. I feel so strong about this that if my credit card sides with Rock Auto after all the information I provided to them including Monroes Guarantee on their website of 90 days I plan on giving up my Chase Mastercard. Right now I am paid in full with it. Not using it again until I have a concrete answer in my favor over this dispute. My money is good anywhere. If I am not protected using my Chase Card to buy goods I don't need to use that card anymore I feel. I should have their Dispute department come to this forum and read about all of the same problems people are having using Monroe Struts on a Dodge Intrepid. Go up to the Monroe Website under Monroe Econo Matic complete struts and you will see a complaint listed there by someone with the exact same problem I had with his Monroe Struts on a Dodge Intrepid. It has happened so often you would think the company would do something about it.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
One or two people swore by the cheaper Monroe Quickstruts with the blue strut cartridges but that was at least 3 years ago and again a very few people. No one had anything good to say about the more expensive Quickstruts period. Appears Monroe managed to fook up the quality of the cheaper Quickstruts also! LOL!

And I believe that there was a change of ownership a few back. Wasn't Monroe acquired by Tenneco or something of the sort.

Aftermarket "Quickstruts" are a Crap shoot at best.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
One or two people swore by the cheaper Monroe Quickstruts with the blue strut cartridges but that was at least 3 years ago and again a very few people. No one had anything good to say about the more expensive Quickstruts period. Appears Monroe managed to fook up the quality of the cheaper Quickstruts also! LOL!

And I believe that there was a change of ownership a few back. Wasn't Monroe acquired by Tenneco or something of the sort.

From my research both Raybestos and Monroe quickstruts were made by Tenneco, hence the problems with both brands.

I will never buy another quickstrut product from either. Sad nowadays really, companies are buying up rights to what used to be good brands and turning them into crap.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Tenneco has owned Monroe I believe since the very early 90's. They were still making a good product back then. After the incident on my wife's 2000 Intrepid I am now having 2nd thoughts about the full set of Monroe Quick Struts and Shocks I purchased from Rock Auto to install on my daughters 2007 Mustang. I am going to have to research if anyone has had any problems with them on Mustangs now. One good thing they have a lifetime warranty. I purchased them around the same time as the Econo matics for the Intrepid but just haven't found the time to mount them as of yet. I purchased them then to take advantage of the Monroe Rebate going on, on a set of 2 Quick Struts and 2 Shocks.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
I had the info backwards. Yes Tenneco has owned Monroe for sometime. Somewhere I saw/read that the Monroe Quicstruts were starting to be listed as Tenneco and not Monroe. Need to find that again.

See post #149 of this same thread and later. DrDodge works at a Firestone shop and is pretty knowledgeable about the industry, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the info backwards. Yes Tenneco has owned Monroe for sometime. Somewhere I saw/read that the Monroe Quicstruts were starting to be listed as Tenneco and not Monroe. Need to find that again.

See post #149 of this same thread and later. DrDodge works at a Firestone shop and is pretty knowledgeable about the industry, etc.
Tenneco/Monroe tries as plenty of company's do to burn the candle at both ends. Go to a Auto Parts Store or online to a place like Rock Auto and you want Shocks or Struts they sell you Monroe. If you are a Big Repair Shop who specializes in Exhaust,mufflers,struts and shocks they will sell you direct under the Tenneco name but you actually get Monroe Shocks in Tenneco Box's. Walker exhaust labelled Tenneco and what ever other products they handle today that the repair shop could use the same way. I know all this from being in the Auto Parts business 38 years as I mentioned previously.

161 - 180 of 215 Posts