DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how I'm gonna get all 3 to work together without getting an FM transmitter for the iPod?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
We need a switch!

I was wondering the same thing! I think it involves one of the factory radio interface adaptors and some kind of home brew switch that can switch all the lines that go to the changer to the input adaptor and vice versa.

ONE SMALL PROBLEM: I have no clue how the radio will react to having the PCI bus wire switched while its on, it might display an error. Something tells me the PCI bus aint plug and play. (The radio uses PCI to control the changer) You might need to turn off the radio, activate the switch and then turn the radio back on for the switch to not piss off the radio.

Anyway, the switch is simply a bunch of little solid state relays (SSRs) formed using two sets of transistors, one position on the switch turns on one bank and shuts down the other. Each SSR controls one line on the interface, so each bank needs as many SSRs as there are wires in the interface.

We want to make relays, beacuse using just a transistor to control the current would require us to apply the transistor drive current to one of the eads we are trying to switch, this would probably ruin the radio and the other device!

Electrically, this thing will behave like a multi-pole, multi-throw On-On type relay. If one can get their hands on a relay with enough contacts to do this, then we are all set and we don't have to build the above contraption.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Avenger said:
That looks like it won't work. The purpose of that setup there is to connect 3 devices with RCA outputs to the factory radio. The problem is, your CD changer doesn't have RCA outputs, it has the chrysler 10 pin connector. You need some type of switch that can select between 2 different chrysler 10 pin connectors and have the changer connected on one side and then one of their RCA to Chrysler 10 pin interfaces. As far as I can see, they don't make that first switch I'm talking about. I'll look around on their site some more though.

EDIT: Actually, on closer examination it looks like that switch goes inline with your cd changer so it will work. If your only going to have the ipod as an auxiliary input, it seems kinda pointless to get a 3-way switcher but from what I can gather that is the only RCA to factory adapter they make that will let you leave your cd changer connected. I'm going to look around a little more but it seems like they should have something where you could just connect one auxiliary item and then you wouldn't have to mount that big 3-way selector switch in your dash somewhere.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, but I searched on their site for vehicles WITH a factory CD changer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you still have the stock head unit, and it has a tape deck, why not just get a tape adaptor, about $7 at any wal-mart...it is what I use for my Philips GoGear, and it works fine...or, if you are gonna replace your factory head unit, get one that has an aux input jack, and just use an aux wire from the ipod to the head unit.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kitulu said:
If you still have the stock head unit, and it has a tape deck, why not just get a tape adaptor, about $7 at any wal-mart...it is what I use for my Philips GoGear, and it works fine...or, if you are gonna replace your factory head unit, get one that has an aux input jack, and just use an aux wire from the ipod to the head unit.
HAHAHA, nice try....but no :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts