DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOt sure if this should have gone in the audio section or not, but I figured the most guys that it may be useful to will see it here. Feel free to move it if necessary.

Anyway the RB1 radio will work in a first gen LH or Caravan type car - with a small reservation that I hopefully will find a solution for tomorrow.
I have it now installed in my 1993 Dodge Grande Caravan.

With the adaptor, it plugs into the harness, the same as the early 2nd Gen LH cars, however thyere is no PCI bus as we all know.
When powered up, the radio & CD portions worked fine as we would expect them to. I inserted the mapping DVD and it loaded. When I switched to the map screen, both the vehicle curser and the "north" were out of sink with reality.
I drove it for a bit in that condition, and found that the mapping actually does work - to a degree. It progresses at 1 mile intervals on the display, and to that point is accurate. As well, the GPS info is accurate and works 100%, with the Londitude and latitude changing as I drove reading the appropriate degrees down to the minute, but it didn't display the name of the location.
I also could not use the address feature. It would allow the address to b e entered, and finalized, but required me to "drive to an open area to locate the vehicle". So, I thought that I was beat without the PCI bus, since I figured that was required.
Well, it sort of holds true. I decided to put it in my Intrepid today in order to make sure that it did infact, operate properly - which it did.
So I then put it back in my Caravan, and low and beholod, it now functioned fine, it accepted any address and would calculate and show the route.
It apparently needed to be set in the PCI bus equipt car, but the memory system didn't loose that data when I swapped it back.

The orientation is still out, north isn't north, it seems to be arbitrary on start up, so that is a function of both the internal gyroscope and the PCI bus, since it did work in the Trep.
Also, the map still only updates at 1 mile intervals, but it does read the street and town names, as it should.

So, tomorrow I am going to try wiring it to a 2002 BCM that I have and jumper the BCM to the busd wire that runs to the overhead console in the van. Not sure what system it uses, but it has something that tells it the distance travelled in order to calculate the IMPG. I'm going to see if that will trigger the BCM into thinking the car is moving as it is supposed to and thus send the correct message to the RB!.

Even if it doesn't, the fact that all of the other features do work, including the voice (except the tun by turn) means that even the 1st gen guys can use one if they so desire - at least to a reasonable amount to make it worth trying.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
i was talking to Ross about this when i visited last week. Im sure most ppl wont mind the 1 mile jump, Ross has some ideas around that. I wonder how laptop systems dont jump, the software must update more than the rb1 plus they use 12 sats.

Good work Ross. Ill let u know how my little project turns out. Im talking with suppliers from Japan next week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread but has anyone gotten anywhere with this? I think it would be really cool to have an RB1 working in a first gen. On that WJjeeps site it says that someone has one working in a 95 cirrus which uses the same head units as our first gens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts