DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get an RB1 installed in my car, and I have ran into a few issues that I have never heard of before. The guy who soes my stereo stuff did some research and found out that the units that were made for 2002+ cars do not function properly in pre-2002 cars. I have never heard of any issues, but he says that there will be. He said that the unit will only update every seversl minutes, the turn by turn will not work, and something else that I cannot remember. Has anybody who has installed a 2002+ unit in a pre-2002 vehicle ran into any of these. I would like to know if this is true before I have him start messing with the car. If this is a real issue are there any ways to fix the issues?

Oh, and also what color, and where, is the PCI-Bus wire that I need to tap into to get the unit functioning properly?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
That doesn't sound even remotely correct. Why would the RB1's functions be controlled by the car? The connector is different so you need to get the adapter, but I know many people have RB1s in pre 02s. The PCI bus wire is always violet with a yellow tracer.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I thought, but he is being persistant. He said that he researched it on Dodge talk, and there were several people that ran into this issue. I just want to be sure this thing is going to work properly before I bother to get it installed. Thanks for the info on the PCI-Bus!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Time to look for a new stereo guy, he must be an idiot. I have a 2004 RB1 in my 2001 and it works perfectly. The only thing you need to do is buy the adapter kit that transforms 2002+ wiring connectors into ones that will fit your pre-2002 Intrepid.

Don't let that guy touch your car.

Reactions: IS300M

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The RB1 get some of the data it uses to calculate your location and projected arrival times etc.

It receives this over the PCI bus, which, as pointed out is purple with yellow tracer.
If you use the adaptor wire connector, you should be OK if your car is a 2001, as that wire is already in the wiring harness. It is used for the steering wheel radio controls on those so equipt.
Pre 2001, you need to add the wire for the PCI to the BCM. There are several members here that have done it, one of them surely will chime in to tell you where it goes.
Without that wire, he is correct that some of the functions will not work, just the basics.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what I was looking for...thanks Ross.
The guy is actually quite good at what he does. That is why he even bothered to research the installation before attempting the install. I have the steering wheel controls so I should be set to go! I will keep watching this thread incase something else pops up. THanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
qp_20 said:
That is what I was looking for...thanks Ross.
The guy is actually quite good at what he does. That is why he even bothered to research the installation before attempting the install. I have the steering wheel controls so I should be set to go! I will keep watching this thread incase something else pops up. THanks for the input guys!
You do get the bonus that others with intepids don't. The steering wheel controls operate some of the RB1 functions when in nav mode as well.

It is basically plug and play. Just put the antenna up as high in the dash as you can and secure it with double sided tape or a cable tie before you put the radio in.
You could remove the trim at the glass and fish it down from there beside the right defrost vent, but it isn't necessary, just up around the re-bar is good enough. Mine works laying on the floor.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My controls never operated the radio before, but I know that I have them. I just always figured that the clockspring was bad or something. It didn't matter to me since I have an aftermarket deck, but now I should probablp look into why they never worked.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
FYI, I know you already have the PCI-bus wire there but if you ever need to add one for anything, Ronbo and I discovered that even though there are seperate wires coming out of the BCM for all the different devices, they are all connected. I just though of this when I read your post so I thought I'd share. I was wondering if this were the case because all the PCI bus wires are the same color and by definition, a bus carries digital information from many different devices along one common wire simultaneously. I consulted Ron and he agreed that this made sense so I decided to test my idea out. I was having a tough time getting to the BCM plug to connect the wire from my seats so I connected it to the most accessible PCI wire, which was the one for the OBDII connector. Sure enough, it worked! Normally I wouldn't tap into a circuit and connect anything that wasn't meant to be connected for fear of drawing too much current, but a bus signal is extremely low current and is just used for digital signal pulses.

Talk about going off topic.:biggrin: Sorry for the hijack!

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
qp_20 said:
That is what I thought, but he is being persistant. He said that he researched it on Dodge talk, and there were several people that ran into this issue.
There are only several people on Dodge Talk...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOUD98ES said:
There are only several people on Dodge Talk...
LOL I told him that I had a better source for the information, and that I thought that what he had found out was incorrect.

As for the bit on the PCI that is good to know since I think that there could be a problem with the wiring in the steering wheel controls. I will find out tomorrow when this gets done. I will have to post some pics when it is complete.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Great Info Thanks For Sharing

SilverSpecial said:
The 4 disc that Came with my car worked fine with it! Now that same 4 disc is in Scotts car working with his RB1... You need the 2002+ connector to use with it

Sorry for the hi-jack Caleb

But this is good to know as I had been told that the RB1 would only work with a 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
dmondeac said:
Don't forget that the 4 disc changers don't seem to work with these units. I had to upgrade to a six disc.
Not true, at least in my case. I have an RB1 unit in my 99 Trep and also have a 4 CD changer connected to it. Bought the adapter from Chrysler wich comes with an antena adapter too, added the PCI bus wire and whohooo, open road here I come !! :auto_05:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Got the RB1 and 4cd changer in the 99 300M without any Issues all I had to do was buy the radio adaptor kit, but my PCI wire was there. Even in my moms 98 Intrepid ES the PCI Wire is there, havent tried to put the RB1 in the intrepid (the PCI bus wire was taped into the main Radio Bundle).

What I needed:
Adaptor 22-pin to dual 7-pin for installing the RB1: P/N 82207541

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
4 disc works with my Rb1 (01 300M) see my thread in "sirius" for cable part numbers-rb1 requires square 10 or 12 pin connector which are on 02+ radios and rb1 pre 02 had round connector on head unit-cd changers both the same4-6 disc only difference is connector on head unit.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL There is no need to worry about the changer with the setup that I am doing. Does anybody remember that I did say that I would never waste my stereo by channeling it through an RB1? There won't be room for a changer when I am done...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.