DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my father in law builds custom canoes for a living as well as boats.. one day in conversation I asked if he could use burl or teak wood for the interior panals in my 2001 intrepid.... basically wherever there is fabric I would like wood on the upper door panels.... And not that fake sticker trim they sell on EBAY..

Ok so right now we are in the process of steaming the wood into shape for installation.

One that is done the fabric on the upper portion of the door will be removed and the wood inlay installed....

Question i have is... Would anyone else be interested in these REAL wood panels in your choice of wood and finish?

We also are working on the trim for the dash area, interior door handles etc.... as for now though we primarily are focusing on the upper fabric area on the doors that ALWAYS get burned from cigarettes...

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Im thinking once we fabricate the inlay we prolly will sell a set of 4 inlays
for 25 bux an inlay.... Were talking rather large pieces of wood to steam, shape, sand, and finally add a clear coat laquer or stain and laquer..

so for a set of 4 were talking 100 bux. Which is VERY CHEAP, in fact cheaper then the fake wood panels they sell on ebay that arent even permanently affixed and just a sticker.

I have discussed it with him and we would be willing to do the first 10 customers inlays with 50% down - 50% after delivery

I will have pictures of the inlays here soon, were waiting for the weather to clear up before we get started on installing them.

Let me know

Erick

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
That's a hell of a price, Teak isn't cheap. I'd love to see it in rosewood myself, but god only knows what that would cost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure rosewood would be possible, I would have to ask him about the price though...

It really isnt that expensive if we have the wood laying around....

the wood im using on my trep is left over wood from a canoe job ,
we have been experimenting with single pieces and multiple pieces
puzzle pieced together. Both look great although I kind of like the puzzle pieced look in a way.

i will find out about rosewood though.

I know we have plenty of oak, maple, cedar, cherry, teak, burl, pine, and a few others, I personally love the look of the burl and the oak.. but if i had to choose one id say its the oak which I most likely will be using for my trep based on its hardness..

Im going for a harder wood which will 1. not expand or crack after years of climatic changes 2. is harder and will be more resistant to scratches and indentations 3. will not burn as easy as for instance a soft wood wood.

My whole reasoning behind the wood isnt only looks... ofcourse it will look great , I just want the cigarette burns to stop LOL and i refuse not to be able to puff a cigarette in my car

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh and pics coming soon

just wanted to know everyones opinion and get a head start on advertising
Im not taking any deposits just yet

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
No need to research rosewood if it's just me, i was just thinking out loud. I don't even own an intrepid anymore.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
In his sig. it says he owns a 2003 Chrysler Sebring LXi - however, hes trying to sell it.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think it's a great idea, I'd love to see some shots of one completed.

If I had cloth doors I'd seriously be interested. I have the leather-'ette' inserts that go with leather interior, I think they suit the car fine and I'd like to keep stock appearance.

But... real wood would look great on these cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well feasibly if we had the door panel to build from or correct dimensions, etc
We could fabricate the panel for a first Gen or Any car for that matter.

I think most importantly I should get some pics shown here first of the final product
so people can decide for themselves.

We are working closely with a friend of the family whom owns an upholstery store next door to our house so we may offer other options other then wood soon enough.

I dont think they are the same... in matter of fact I can almost bet they7 arent the same judging from my past first gen I owned.

if you really are interested though and would like to find out more , we can work something out being that you would be our first "technical customer"

Thanks
PM if interested

Erick

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've got a 300m so if you guys end up doing some of the 'typical' wood kit areas that would work in an M I'd be interested, more so if it works out you can offer most if not all of those kinds of pieces. I'd like to get a full wood kit at some point in the future but if it turns out you can only offer a few pieces that would work in my car I'd probably just go for the fake stuff so it all matches, thats way down the road anyway as your still working on this just for your doors.

Either way I'd like to see how it turns out when your done.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
this would be cool to see, since i havve a few cigarette burns in mine from the previous owner, and i'm planning on getting a wood wheel, so it would somewhat match!
I can;t wait to see some pics when you are done!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well since I quit smoking on Jan 1 of this year, the cigarette burns dont concern me. But Would love also to see this in action and willing to commit 50% to the finished product, but of course mix it up a bit, with different types like said messages. Also think of the options of engraving detailed designs to accent them even deeper!! Will keep an eye out for your pix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so we talked this evening and me and my wifes dad decided prolly the best thing to do is go ahead and fabricate a mold of the area on the front and rear passenger doors that we want to inlay, he mentioned foam and some chemical sprays of sorts...

After the mold is made, an inlay will be placed in the mold using what we have decided will probably be the best material for its hardness and its beauty would be rosewood or canary wood, that would be for just the door panels which ultimately will be exposed to most of the UV rays and harsh oils from skin , aswell as abuse from ciggarettes etc.... Dont want to use a soft would because it will get scuffed and marked up too easily..

Anyway for the dash I think we will be using Burl wood or he also mentioned something about a special type of mahogany.

This is all very new to me, so after this weekend I will know more considering its going to be my personal vehicle getting the makeover. Once its done hopefully i can offer the "kit" here. I think 100 bucks is fair but I really dont know the price of wood and the amount of work that it will take to make this. He did suggest however a good wood worker, one like himself whom builds canoes for a living LOL could make a minimum of 20 of them in a days time.

I am still interested in getting the process down. I have no wood working experience.

Keep you updated

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Amazes me how much hidden talent or hidden connection is with in this web site who would of thought a wood worker Cant wait for the pics

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Interested.....can't wait to see pictures...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts