DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i tried changing my rear brake shoes but i am having a really hard time gettin the drum off the spindle.. it came off about 1/2" all around but it is stuck. i am assuming that the brakes are so worn that they made a crevice in the actual drum and cannot slide out. i dont know how to de-press the break so the should can retract so i can pul the drum off.. anyone know waht to do in this case

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
This may help you, read through it :

Brake Drums

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

Fig. 1: Slide the drum off the rear hub and bearing assembly with a rocking motion if necessary

Loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheel being worked on.

Raise the vehicle and support safely.

Remove the rear wheels.

Remove the brake drum from the rear hub and bearing assembly. If the drum is difficult to remove, increase the clearance between the brake shoes and the drum as follows:

Remove the rubber plug from the top of the brake support plate.

Rotate the automatic shoe adjuster screw with an upward motion using a medium size flat tipped tool.

Remove the brake drum from the rear hub and bearing.
Inspect the brake shoe linings and drums for wear, contamination and scoring.

To install:

Install the rear brake drum onto the rear hub and bearing assembly. Adjust the brake shoes.

Install the rear wheels and hand-tighten the lug nuts.

Lower the vehicle and tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern sequence to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm).

INSPECTION

See Figure 2

Fig. 2: The brake drum MAX diameter identification is stamped on the outside of the drum

Whenever the rear brake drums are removed from the rear hubs, they should be inspected for damage or irregularities. Periodic inspection can help prevent dangerous conditions from developing to the point of personal injury, and can help maintain the quality of the vehicle's driving characteristics.

Refer to the brake specification chart in this section for the model-specific specifications of the brake components.

Measure drum run-out and diameter. If the drum does not exceed 0.006 inch (0.1524mm), have the drum resurfaced. All brake drums will show markings of the maximum allowable diameter. All brake drums have markings for MINIMUM allowable thickness. Always use this specification as the minimum allowable thickness or refinishing limit. Refer to a local auto parts store or machine shop if necessary shop where brake drums are resurfaced.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
were you trying to take them off to due the brakes if so then bang it off with a hammer. Or your can turn the adjuster; you can get at it by removing a rubber grommet and using a screwdriver to turn the star wheel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can you please ellaborate on the following:

"Remove the brake drum from the rear hub and bearing assembly. If the drum is difficult to remove, increase the clearance between the brake shoes and the drum as follows:

Remove the rubber plug from the top of the brake support plate.

Rotate the automatic shoe adjuster screw with an upward motion using a medium size flat tipped tool. "

i tried looking for this plug but no luck ..can u plwease exlpain where it is and how to do it..a pic would help alot..thanks alot in advance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts