DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend the proper method to remove the rear c-pillars/black plastic mouldings?

Does it make more sense to have them repainted or just replace them (assuming they are still available)? It is a 97 Dodge Intrepid ES Sport. Other than the paint they are in good condition.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
oh, they come off easy if your talking about the only two the car has. Just a couple screws and done. I had to put a less that glossy paint job on mine cause they just looked horrible. Now the rest of the car looks equally bad because of Doofy dodge paint. I guess it don't matter anymore.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
there's three screws around the top of the rear door where the weatherstripping seals............ just make sure after you undo the screws, you pull the pillar covers off from the side!!!! there a odd looking clips that hold them into the gunk that holds your back windshield on, if you don't pull it off sideways, you'll break the clips and they will never hold right and if you ever go into car washes the air dryer will rattle those like a mother-****er

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm familiar w/ refinishing/repainting metal & wood. How do you do plastic? I assume the clear coat needs to come off. If I use a stripper I think it would damage the plastic. And sanding plastic just does not seem right.

I'm thinking a light sand is the way to go but would appreciate any feedback from those that know.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The black color is from black tape. You can buy replacement tape from the dealer that will be an exact fit but you should remove the old tape first. It is not paint.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The plastic is actually the same high gloss black throughout, I personally did a real shitty job of sanding them and then i polished em and they look good unless you get real close, i need to re-wet sand them and try to work it down so that its more smooth.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dont use paint stripper, it will eat the plastic. Wet-sand the old paint, starting with 220, then 600.

·
Registered
646 Posts
then work up to 1500 and finish off with 2000grit, see if you can find a nice robbing compound that will take the small scratches out

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
dunno, but just wet-sand with finer grits, primer, paint, clear coat, it'll look like new

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think people may be talking about 2 different things here. There are black plastic covers which are screwed to the car on the rear pillars and there is black tape which is on both "B"? pillar's to hid the gap of the front and rear door.

The black plastic cowling on the C pillars has a clear coat on it which will and probably already has peeled off. After that gloss is gone the plastic is a flat black color which looks pretty good. I'd clean them up w/ sand paper as mentioned above or just leave it that matte color.

-GB49

1 - 14 of 14 Posts