DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 1997 Intrepid w/ 3.5L which only had 71400 miles on it but, after getting it home from the dealership, noticed it leaking oil. Looks like the rear main seal is bad. I'm fortunate that it had a 30 day 1000 mile warantee. So far they have replaced the valve cover gaskets, intake manifold (to fix rough idle and engine misfire), fuel injector. They are going to replace the rear main seal. Do the have to pull the engine or the transmission to get to this seal? Oh ya, I'm feeling very fortunate! This car is great shape but I really missed it on the oil leak (kinda hard to look under a car when there's snow and ice on the ground).

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I believe that they have to pull the tranny. But since your not paying for it, oh well !!! Oh, and one more thing, since they are paying for everthing that's wrong with your car. Have them check out your Tie Rod Ends, and Steering Rack Bushings too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They will either have to remove or just disconnect the following: transaxle, inspection cover, and flywheel/flexplate to get to your rear main seal.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Hemi2500 said:
Tie rod ends look good. Warantee only covers engine and powertrain.
Man, that's to bad. You always try to get everthing fixed if you can, after you get past that deductible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know. It's been over 10 years since I've bought a used car. This car is for my 16 year old son. It's a great car but, with the problems since we bought it on March 2nd, we haven't been able to drive it much. I'm planning on driving it to work on the days my son doesn't need it (Kinda tough getting only 12 MPG on my 04 Ram 2500 w/ HEMI). Hopefully we will get the full use of this warantee. Thanks for all your responses. This seams like a great forum. Oh ya, my son and I have change plugs & wires, done the front brakes, and even made a trip to the junk yard. What a better way for a father and son to bond! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mass04 said:
are you sure its not the pan gasket
I forgot to mention that the pan gasket and pan was replaced. It's definately the rear main seal. Finally got the service manager to admit to that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts