DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello treppers: been a looooong time since I last posted. I'd rebuilt my 3.2 and had inadvertently installed a rod cap on backwards and wound up spinning a bearing. Well, got THAT all straightened out and it's running again. I still have a question that I posed before, but never saw a satisfactory solution. When I rebuilt this motor, I purchased the new version rear main seal retainer: the old version had a rubber strip on the bottom where the retainer housing seals against the rear of the oil pan. The new version doesn't have this strip, so my question still remains, HOW do you seal the rear of the oil pan against the bottom of the retainer housing? What have any of you guys who ran into this same issue used? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,743 Posts
I've never had to deal with the rear oil seal retainer, but unless someone who really knows chimes in, the only thing I can think of is to seal it with a good grade RTV.

·
Premium Member
16,743 Posts
No - the FSM says to put RTV just at the 4 corners (has a sketch) - see below. There was a rubber strip on the old retainer to seal across the top of the back wall of the pan. The new retainer comes without that rubber strip, so you're left to improvise. Might consider putting a thin strip of silicone rubber to get compressed in there along with RTV to hold it in place and seal at the ends of the strip at the same corners that you're already supposed to put RTV at.

From FSM:
"Apply a 1/8 inch bead of Mopart Engine RTV GEN II at the parting line of the oil pump housing and the rear seal retainer (Fig. 106)."

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
No - the FSM says to put RTV just at the 4 corners (has a sketch) - see below. There was a rubber strip on the old retainer to seal across the top of the back wall of the pan. The new retainer comes without that rubber strip, so you're left to improvise. Might consider putting a thin strip of silicone rubber to get compressed in there along with RTV to hold it in place and seal at the ends of the strip at the same corners that you're already supposed to put RTV at.

From FSM:
"Apply a 1/8 inch bead of Mopart Engine RTV GEN II at the parting line of the oil pump housing and the rear seal retainer (Fig. 106)."
PEVA. I love your wealth of info.
*blows kiss*

I used a new retainer and it didn't contain any thin strip of rubber and I DIDNT KNOW BETTER!

and now my back end of the block is leaking like a sieve. sounds like I can pop my oil pan and seal up that back area.

·
Premium Member
16,743 Posts
PEVA. I love your wealth of info.
*blows kiss*

I used a new retainer and it didn't contain any thin strip of rubber and I DIDNT KNOW BETTER!

and now my back end of the block is leaking like a sieve. sounds like I can pop my oil pan and seal up that back area.
Thanks (speaking in a very manly voice!) :)

Like I said, I never had to go into that area of my 3.2, so I have no first-hand knowledge of this. I just remember discussions from the past where they changed the rear seal plate design and parts are not available. It’s too bad the search tools on this site aren’t very useful.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks (speaking in a very manly voice!) :)

Like I said, I never had to go into that area of my 3.2, so I have no first-hand knowledge of this. I just remember discussions from the past where they changed the rear seal plate design and parts are not available. It’s too bad the search tools on this site aren’t very useful.
If you didn't know already, you can go to google and type your key words in and add site:https://dodgeintrepid.net/15-general-discussion-first-generation/ for example. Or any subforum link.

That's what I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts