DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the automatic dimming mirror and it
dosn't seem to block very much light, it is suposed to turn the headlights greenish
it only does this some times to a limited degree, there are what seem to be sensors on the mirror side and one on the back side of the mirror covering either or both dosn't seem to make a difference, just wondering if it just sucks or is faulty?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm not sure if its exactly the same, but my dads Ram has one of those auto-dimming rear view mirrors. I'm not sure where the sensors are, but it will only dim when there is headlights behind you and it works good. Maybe there's just something wrong w/ your sensors?

·
Registered
973 Posts
the sensor on the front tells it that it is night or day, the one facing rear senses the following car's lights. Do you have dark tinted rear windows?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 97 ES has the auto-dimming mirror. It has the sensor on the mirror part and it senses the headlight behind you. It turns green when a car comes from behind you. I think it works really well. Mine turns dark green. Maybe there is something wrong with yours. I bet it isn't cheap to replace though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Moparpartsguy has it correct; it compares the light level front to rear with 2 CdS sensors to set a dimming level.
There's a 3rd wire in the plug that disables it in reverse, (so it won't darken when you back out of a dim garage into daylight).

> ...if the light is shining on the mirror, then it dims.

Ambient daylight on the mirror is hundreds of times brighter than someone's headlights behind you at night, but that won't trigger the mirror because the light on the front of the mirror is also strong.

To test the mirror in daylight, place a hand tightly over the front sensor (look for the hole). Don't use a finger, it's not completely opaque. It should go very dark green in a few seconds, then fade to clear when you take your hand away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts