DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think my passenger side bearing is starting to go because there's a weird humming sound coming from that side at low speeds. Question is, how hard is it to change out? Also, looking at RockAuto there's a Timken one and it's the cheapest at 40$ for the rear. Usually, I don't like buying the cheapest part's in order to avoid problems with crappy parts. But, the bearing shop that I deal with recommended Timken as good manufacturer when I was replacing the drive bearings on my snowmobile a few years ago.

So does anybody have some input on this?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
To change the rear hub, simply take off the wheel, take off the dust cap, then remove the cotter pin, and using 36MM socket, undo the retaining nut.
Hub pulls off the shaft. Install the new one, and tighten to 124 ftlb. Put in new cotterpin.

I just bought a National bearing from Parts source, it is around 65$ for good quality.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't sound to hard, I just need to find a socket that's the correct size. Is it a good idea to get a new dust cap? Or does the new bearing come with one?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You may have to go to the dealer to get a new dust cap, just be careful not to damage the one you have, as long as it fits back in snugly, you're ok. I like national bearings because they are made by Federal-Mougal which I'll buy any of their products anytime. Timken has been a decent brand too.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may have to go to the dealer to get a new dust cap, just be careful not to damage the one you have, as long as it fits back in snugly, you're ok. I like national bearings because they are made by Federal-Mougal which I'll buy any of their products anytime. Timken has been a decent brand too.
I think I might pick up a new one either way.

Would it be smart to do both rears while I'm at it or is it just overkill?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Stuff like this, don't go for the preventative maintenance. It's a slippery slope... you can end up replacing everything. Timken is a good brand so I wouldn't hesitate buying from them.

I don't know how it is in canada but here u can rent the socket from autozone or other parts store. These big sockets are not cheap to buy... even from places like harbor freight.

·
Registered
979 Posts
To change the rear hub, simply take off the wheel, take off the dust cap, then remove the cotter pin, and using 36MM socket, undo the retaining nut.
Hub pulls off the shaft. Install the new one, and tighten to 124 ftlb. Put in new cotterpin.

I just bought a National bearing from Parts source, it is around 65$ for good quality.
That's it to a "T". I did one last year for the first time and it's about as simple as TFC says. You might want to get a new cotter pin since the old one could break during removal.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Both of my front bearings are timken. the rears are awaiting install. I have had them in the front for abut a year of hard driving with no problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.