DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was removing the 2.7 engine from my 2000 Intrepid I discovered a 1 1/2 inch red rubber nipple (see picture) just laying on the top of the transaxel. It appears to be some kind of vacuum cap for something. I have no idea where it came from and if it even came from my car. I'm pretty sure it's not from the engine, but could be from the transaxel or some line or something. I'm hoping that someone might know where it goes. Does this look familiar to anyone?

As a side note my old friend should be back on the road tomorrow... after sitting in my garage for 1 1/2 years, the victim of the famous failing water pump.

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,842 Posts
My guess would be that came off of some new part that was installed at some point. Never seen anything like that anywhere on the engine or trans. They sometimes cap lines off on new parts to prevent crap from getting into them. It looks about the size of the 3/8 surge tank line on the heater pipe at the back of the engine, or from one of the vacuum lines-- or they put similar caps on new transmission cooler lines--maybe those were changed at one time.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Girl in College, HEhehehehehe

Yes, that is a dust cap from a replacement line. Those caps are common on transmission lines from the store, and I end up finding them in my driveway months after changing the lines... they come out of no where or something. *chuckles*

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Girl in College, HEhehehehehe

Yes, that is a dust cap from a replacement line. Those caps are common on transmission lines from the store, and I end up finding them in my driveway months after changing the lines... they come out of no where or something. *chuckles*
I bought the car new and my wrench is the only one who has tooled on it... also like that that girl in college.

Since I never changed any lines on the car, I guess it was a gift from the factory.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions during my engine transplant. I hope I can return the favor to others on this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts