DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got no response at the 300M club, so i'm trying you guys now. I want a remote start for my M, but I just wanted to double check something I was told. The system itself is going for $150, but I was also told I need a bypass module, blah blah blah. That is $70, and then all of that plus tax. Anyway, my question is, is that module REALLY required or is this guy trying to take me for a ride? If its legit, then i'm going to buy it and have it installed tomorrow. Another question, exactly HOW does that work? Do you have to have a key in the ignition, or do you have to put the key in the ignition after you remote start it? I'm confused. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Lisa_2000M said:
Okay, so I got no response at the 300M club, so i'm trying you guys now. I want a remote start for my M, but I just wanted to double check something I was told. The system itself is going for $150, but I was also told I need a bypass module, blah blah blah. That is $70, and then all of that plus tax. Anyway, my question is, is that module REALLY required or is this guy trying to take me for a ride? If its legit, then i'm going to buy it and have it installed tomorrow. Another question, exactly HOW does that work? Do you have to have a key in the ignition, or do you have to put the key in the ignition after you remote start it? I'm confused. Thanks in advance!
That Module you speak of, you will need it IF:
1) you have a aftermarket alarm
2) Door locks (Auto)
3) Alarm The one that came with the car...

I have a Remote Start also, that I have to buy another module... So no he's not ripping you off..

·
Registered
684 Posts
I bought an car started a couple years ago. I needed the bypass. It's needed if you have the Sentry key security(dunno if it's needed if you have factory alarm - I don't have it so I had a car starter/alarm system installed).

Anyways 70 bucks sounds like a ripoff. I went to 3 places in town to get quotes on my system and the highest price for the bypass was 50 bucks CDN.

As for how it works, you push the button to start your car. When you get in the car you simply put your key in the ignition and turn it to 'ON'. You won't turn it all the way as your car is already running.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
You will need some sort of device to bypass the Sentry key module. If the pcm doesn't read a sentry key in the ignition, it will shut the engine off after 2 seconds.

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
Ok.. personal experience here..

1. the Bypass module is only needed if you have the sentry key option.
2. most remote starts i've delt with have the ability to disarm a factory alarm without a module.
3. Once you remote start the car, it will run for a predetermined amount of time.. when you get in the car, you must insert the key and turn it to the "run" position. if you don't have the key in, you can't shift nor steer as both of these "lockouts" are tied to the key position. Also, if you get in the car and step on the brake with out the key in the car will shut off.

any other questions I'd be glad to help..

·
Registered
566 Posts
You need the bypass module, DEI's version:
http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/555C.html

exactly as pictured its what I had with the dei 561T, just a remote start module interfaced with the security system.

The price is about correct in the link, $30 give or take, $70 is bs, $150 for the unit may be high, you can probably get the same thing online cheaper and either have them install it or diy if your so inclined. Before ordering it online you should check around to see if the shops WILL install an Remote start unit you bring in yourself and how much they'll charge you for it.

HOW does that work? Do you have to have a key in the ignition, or do you have to put the key in the ignition after you remote start it? I'm confused. Thanks in advance!
The answers others have given are correct, it runs for x amount of time, if you don't unlock it and insert your key and turn it to the run position it shuts down.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I did not see a similar post at 300m club. probably missed it, but yeah like others say, you do need a bypass module for remort start. you might also need to give him a spare key. I have a similar module in my car as well. I paid around $50 for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts