DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Remote Starter

682 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  dbaudiopro 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the AutoCommand remote starter/alarm?

CHECK IT OUR HERE

I am looking to get a remote starter/alarm, but am trying to stay away from the $400+ that it seems a higher end system would cost?

Are the less expensive ones really crap? Has anyone had a positive experience with one of these in the $200-$300 (or even less) range?

#2 ·
To be honest, you get what you pay for here. If you're really only interested in remote start and keyless entry you can get into that realm for under $200. Check out the Viper 150ESP. It has lots of features and great range for the money. If you really want an alarm also you'll be pushing the $400 range, but the Viper 550 is well worth the money. Remeber these prices are installed with lifetime warranties. I would just avoid Circuit City or Best Buy for the install... ;)

#4 ·
Save your money. You'll be way happier with a Viper 790XV. Much better range, both ways on the remote and a much better quality unit. I know a MECP Master installer who has put both head to head and the Viper beat the Audbox in every way...

#5 ·
Looks like a nice unit, but damn it's expensive, probably worth it though...But I'm a little hesitant to spend too much since I read another post on this board talking about alarm systems screwing around with the first gens computers. The $150 deal on Ebay for the AudioVox ASP996 (which sells for $449 installed at a store by me) is kind of tempting, but then again it could turn out to be a piece of crap.

Here's that thread I read:

http://dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11320&highlight=audiovox

Anyone else besides this guy have any problems with their alarm in a first gen?

#6 ·
Never heard of any of those issues in the years I worked at a shop (most of first gen years and a couple second gen years). We did a lot of work for the local Dodge dealer, who was one of the biggest in the nation. I have trouble believing that there was a serious problem there, especially if it affected the OEM alarm system. There were some issues with some of the second gens blowing DEI remote start modules, but DEI found the problem and fixed it. There are lots of wrong ways to install alarms/remote starts which could be what was going on. If the dealer had a bunch from the same area, there's potential of just a bad shop in town doing installs. But I have no proof to dispute what he's saying...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.