DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a remote starter in my 04 es , I had one in my 95 Intrepid. The 95 did not have the grey key only the black. Is there any special tricks for this installation that I should know to get past the security? Don't need to open the doors etc I just want to start the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The remote starter the local auto shop "tried to sell me" required the mounting of a sealed metal box under the sensor ring that encompasses the steering wheel/ignition key lock.

Basically, you had to buy a key blank (grey), cut off the key part, program the grey part (chip) into the bcm, and lock it in the sealed box mounted near the sensor ring. This allowed the bcm to always see a valid key. This way the remote starter works, it also means that you can now make copies of your ignition key using black (cheaper) blanks.

Down side, the box is ugly and you have now bypassed the security feature. You can remove the programmed blank for times that you do not use remote start... i.e vacation, car in storage, etc.

I passed on having this installed.

Does DC offer a remote starter package/option for their security key equipped vehicles?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
tgcan said:
What is DB? Thanks
He was referring to dbaudiopro, a member here who knows alot about this kind of stuff.

If you have the sentry key, you will need to get a bypass module. For this to work you will need to sacrifice one of your keys. The good thing is with this method is your sentry key will only be bypassed during remote starting so you will retain your sentry key's function at all other times. They also make bypass modules that have the transponder built in so you don't need to give up a key, but they are more expensive and you'll still have to have it programmed to your car. The cheaper and esier way would be to just break open your key and glue the chip to the ignition cylinder. The downside to this is you ruin your key and your system will be bypassed all the time. The upside is you will no longer have sentry key and you can use regular duplicate keys and won't need to go to the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts