DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Removal of Cats

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Rolm 
#1 ·
Anyone ever done/ considered removing the catalytic converters on their trep? How hard would this acctually be? I looked under there and it doesn't look like there is a lot of room to work. Also, what would you do about the 02 sensors?

#2 ·
From what my mechanic friend told me you can't remove them because of the o2 sensors and in Canada it is also illegal for a muffler shop to remove them. I was going to remove mine to put on dual exhaust and I ended up with a new exhaust from the last single cat back with a Magnaflow muffler and sounds excellent with the cats left on.

#6 ·
If you remove the cats you'll loose power and probably ruin the sound. The computer won't get the readings from the O2 sensor and throw codes. Keep the cats and add Flowmaster, it should be loud enough. The engine needs the O2 sensors in the cats so it can adjust the fuel/air mixture accordingly. When you remove that the engine will be "blind" and the mix will be either too rich or too lean bcs it will run of a preloaded fuel map instead of actual fuel requirement.

#7 ·
Since, he's got a 94, which is pre OBD II. The O2 Sensors are before the cat, and they screw into the exhaust manifolds. So if he did remove the cat the sensor's would be still in the manifold. And if you remove the cat's then it would free up the exhaust, thus giving alitle move engine power. But I'd keep them on, just to keep the air alittle more cleaner for the rest of us . But as they say, it's your car. Also you will need them to pass any kind of emisson testing.

#8 ·
I took the pre-cats off my 97 leaving the 3rd(center)in place.No codes and It was so long ago I dont remember any power gain but it did sound better.I had just taken them off and had the shop bend new pipes.

She came so close to passing the emision test in Ma(cali standards) that the guy was shocked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.