DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway at all to remove the speed limiter on my 2003 2.7? It tops out at 114 and still has so much to go but cuts out. It makes me sad =(

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
What you need is a new engine computer that will hike it up. There are not tuners available to get rid of it. Seeing your car is a '03 and a 2.7l you don't have many options. Only thing really is a 300m special PCM but that thig is meant to run a 3.5l HO engine. That computer would but your top speed to 150mph, I don't even think the 2.7 will push the car that fast LMAO!

·
Registered
164 Posts
not really related to the OP, but can a 300m special pcm be put into a 98 ES 3.2?

·
Registered
411 Posts
you do not need a special PCM, you can use either an intrepid R/T pcm from 00 or 2001 which are unlimited, or 99,00,01 300M PHP which is limited to around 139-142 mph.

That way you wont need to swap out harnesses; I will eventually be gettin this done for my 3.2L

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
o ok

how hard would that be?
basically your redoing all the wiring. It is a time consuming job and the engine may need to come out. I may look into what concorde freak said I don't know about that but it would be interesting.

·
Registered
430 Posts
not really related to the OP, but can a 300m special pcm be put into a 98 ES 3.2?

this just doesn't work for multiple reasons, the wiring harness is just the beginning. more importantly, the PCM has fuel/air ratios for a 3.5L engine. add to that, its tuned for a 3.5L High Output engine and it just won't be able to manage a 3.2L engine.

if you really want to juice up your 3.2L, I would suggest looking into whether Kenne Bell is still reprogramming PCMs for Intrepids. that's the one mod I've considered worthwhile that I haven't done.

-Dan

·
Registered
234 Posts
you do not need a special PCM, you can use either an intrepid R/T pcm from 00 or 2001 which are unlimited, or 99,00,01 300M PHP which is limited to around 139-142 mph.

That way you wont need to swap out harnesses; I will eventually be gettin this done for my 3.2L
The harness changed in 02 so for his app he cant run a pre-02 pcm.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks for all the info guys but is there a way that you can get in re flashed back to police interceptor status by the dealership if you know people that would actually do it for you there or was that just never an option for a 2.7?

·
Registered
164 Posts

sounds like an idea

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is there anyway at all to remove the speed limiter on my 2003 2.7? It tops out at 114 and still has so much to go but cuts out. It makes me sad =(

114?

I have the same car and it will climb to 108, then back off and stay at 106.

Be careful though -- things start getting squirmy at that speed. I think the limiter is there for a reason, esp if you only have the basic SE suspension.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
this just doesn't work for multiple reasons, the wiring harness is just the beginning. more importantly, the PCM has fuel/air ratios for a 3.5L engine. add to that, its tuned for a 3.5L High Output engine and it just won't be able to manage a 3.2L engine.

-Dan
actually a couple of people here have stuck a 300m pcm on a 3.2 trep without any problems and it does handle the car well.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
alot of people who swaped the 3.5's into there 2.7 SE's left the 2.7 PCM in place and its running the car fine. Also you can't re-flash a PCM, the dealer won't do it, there are performance shops out there that will though.

·
Premium Member
17,492 Posts
Don't forget that you should upgrade the tires to the higher speed rating.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I always wondered, why does everyone wanna take the speed limiter off? I wouldnt wanna stress my car running it at its limits like that. Also not to mention getting caught at speeds like that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree also. Im 43 and have a spotless driving record. Now when i was young i did some crazy driving. People who speed sometimes dont realize that you not only get a high priced ticket but youre insurance goes up and it stays that way for a long time. But im not putting anybody down but when you get older you start to realize some things.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Yeah, getting caught isn't fun. I wanted to take off my limiter whenever I first got my car, but that all changed on my way back from my campus. I got busted racing a 'Vic going 87 in a 55 southbound on Rt. 51 in front of Aliquippa. Luckily the cop bumped it down to 5 over at traffic court. Haven't sped since. Remember the old addage "five your fine, ten your mine." Unless the cop is really anal, then it really doesn't apply.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
114?

I have the same car and it will climb to 108, then back off and stay at 106.

Be careful though -- things start getting squirmy at that speed. I think the limiter is there for a reason, esp if you only have the basic SE suspension.
Squirmy? I had my Intrepid SE up to the limiter a couple of times and it wasn't squirmy. The limiter by the way is 116 mph. Without the limiter, top speed would be around 125 mph.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts