DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
I've just put everything back together, the horn works, airbag light goes off, cruise control will not activate now though? I've checked the manual looking for a fuse specific to cruise control, I can't find anything.

· Mopar or No Car
10,195 Posts
It looks like the only power for that goes through fuse 20 but it's mostly just changing the voltage of the PCM output. Did you add audio controls or was this just an R&R?

It's been so long since I've been inside that - is it possible you got the left and right controls wired backward ...?

· Registered
51 Posts
I must have somehow reversed the cable, I tried to keep them straight but at the lkq here I was under prepared and ended up having no tape to mark left and right. After swapping them the cruise control does work now.

· Mopar or No Car
10,195 Posts
Regarding disconnecting the battery cable, is disconnecting the negative cable at the jump point ok or does it need to be done at the battery itself?
Disconnecting at the jump point up on the passenger fender is what's typically done. No reason to get down into the battery compartment ... :)

· Registered
24 Posts
When reading in the How To, I see something said about the cruise control:
The cruise control connectors now come from the steering wheel wiring instead of directly from the clockspring.
See I noticed my cruise control isn't working after I seen my Air bag light was on and also found out my horn wasn't working either. I asked in another thread concerning the air bag light and horn issue whether the cruise control was going through the clockspring or not.
I posted in the following thread:
Air bag light on and horn don't work.

· Banned
47 Posts
WARNING: Airbag clips for 2003-2004 (and maybe late 2002) are different than earlier models and these are not interchangeable
Using newer clips on an older model airbag may result in intermittent contact while driving
So, why don't we just use the clips from the old wheel??? I bought an '02 wood grain steering wheel for my '99 300M. Can't I just use the clips that came with my steering wheel and NOT the newer ones???

· Banned
47 Posts
Wouldn't yanking the two Airbag fuses inactivate the airbag??? Yes, of course you don't wanna take any chances and most if not all will still disengage the negative battery ground but still............just curious. Wouldn't removing the two fuses suffice???

Also, can anyone recommend a good vinyl paint???

Back in the day, painting vinyl was never considered cause the results were pretty bad but decades later......I am assuming someone has discovered a way to properly paint vinyl to acceptable standards.

· Banned
47 Posts
After installing a woodgrain steering wheel I just installed, I thought I would add a bit of advice that will certainly help.

You know how when you stick a screwdriver into a deep hole and once you hit the screw, you just move the screwdriver around until it seats into the screw??? Well the screws on the back of the steering wheel are torx screws and to make it worse, they don't fill up the entire whole. To get to these you gotta bullseye that hole, they are dead center with room to spare.

After 10 minutes of no success making positive contact with the torx screws, I got a small piece of a mirror and flashlight so I could actually see the screws in the holes and it made a HUGE difference. Like I said the torx does NOT take up the whole hole, it's a bullseye shot you gotta make and holding a mirror up while you do it worked out best for me.

After you get them out, everything else is ridiculously easy from there. You can also pull the airbag fuses on top of pulling the negative ground from the battery too.

Also, the horn, airbag and cruise control all came from the clockspring and all of which I used over again, making the cruise controls that came with the steering wheel useless. What I am saying is that if you have no plans on changing your clock spring, you will most likely reuse everything that was on your old steering wheel and the cruise controls that come with the wheel you bought will be useless. I cut mine out to make room for my originals.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible to use a 7 circuit clockspring for radio controls to replace a 5 circuit clockspring if I don't have radio controls? The 7 circuit springs seem to be quite a bit cheaper now.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts