DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This May Sound stupid, But I can't seem to Remove those things, I thought I could somehow out smart it and remove it as a Unit, But I seems it's to be dummy proof & resists My charm. Then I tried to Remove individually but the alternator won't come off. I removed all the 3 Bolts holding it even tapped it with a rubber hammer but it won't budge.. is there another bolt holding it? Or how can if remove them??

I'm still on the tip of trying to Remove the Block. I didn't know these Engines are this hard.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
Yeah - replacing my 2.7 alternator was one of the most frustrating jobs I did. Besides the two bolts that the FSM mentioned, I seem to remember that there is a stiffener rod going from the back of the alternator to the block - until I found that, it was solid. Extremely tight area, so you can't see much.

When you do get it free, it's like a Rubik's cube trying to get it turned just the right way to get it thru a very small window out into the world. Don't get impatient - there are some plastic electrical insulators that will break if you get too rough with it.

I also had to remove the p.s. pump to do the timing chain. That was about as difficult as the alternator.

Are you replacing the engine?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To comment on removing the p.s to change timing chain - You didn't have to. I took all that apart down to the Block & Crank only left w/o removing the p.s or any of those.

But I'm not replacing the engine, but I'm tearing down & removing the Block to take the crank out to see how it's doing, cos, I got a small play in the no 5 Bearing.

It is really sad that the FSM did a horrible job at detailing things in these cars.

Thanks. Next time I get out there I'm gonna look for that other bolt You talked about.

So there's really no way to just take the Power Steering, Alternator & that little Fluid bottle there out all together w/o suffering taking all of them saperately?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts