DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to eventually repaint all of my grey trim on the exterior of the car. Delam is beginning to take over on my door trim now. I have the grey trim found on all 93-95 Concorde's and similar to the trim on the ES model Intrepid's. Anyone know how to remove them without ruining them? I know there's clips in behind it but my question is is it hard to remove/replace? I'd rather pull the panels off the car to paint instead of masking off everything. Also, if anyone has pics I'd like to see them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
After removing the pannel there are two clips that unhook the links and 2 nuts and the handle comes off.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have never removed mine but I have seen the rivits from the inside of the doors with the inner panels removed. It looks like they would pop off. I have the same problem with my 95 Concorde.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I belive they slide on and off. I pulled some Eagle Vision ones at the yard a long time ago for my old 94' and I belive you pull them towards the end of the door away from the car and that should free them of the rivets. I'm not 100% sure though. I'd go to the junkyard and try to remove some there. At least if you break them there, no big loss on your car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My '94 Intrepid has the lower cladding, and I had it off last year to clean behind them, and also give them a good cleaning and waxing. There should be a couple of screws inside the door edge (latch side) that go through the plastic cladding - remove them, then pull the cladding panel towards the latch side of the door, and it just slides off the clips that are rivetted to the door. Those would be the rivets that you are seeing on the inside of the door with the interior panel removed.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I looked on both sides for screws and didn't find any. There are screws for the lower trim on the rocker panels, but I already have the rear off to fix my rust hole behind the door. Also, when I pulled out on the trim I noticed it looked like the trim panel would slide on the rivets, so I think that may be what I try to do. I may go ahead and give it a shot and see if it works, cause I know there's a white 94 Concorde in the yard near me, but they were being a pain in the @$$ last time I went there. I always go back because they are the only ones around me with LH cars in the yard.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I gave it a shot the other day and I pulled the bottom loose but I couldn't get the top to move. It appears that the panel should slide toward the front of the car (atleast on the passenger rear door). I pulled the interior door panel to look and see if there might be any screws and I didn't see any.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I tried to remove the right rear door panel last weekend, I was able to get the bottom removed and I tried to slide the door panel toward the front of the car. Which by pulling out a bit at the top looks to be the way it needs to slide. I kept pulling to where I was moving the whole car so I stopped. I pulled the interior door panel off to check for screws but I don't see any on the outside door panel.

I'm gonna check my FSM again to see how it shows it's attached, but I couldn't find much info on the trim.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I practiced on a 94' Corde at the junkyard. You have to remove that chrome strip and there are rivets under it. Remove the rivets and the door panel pops off.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Matt86 said:
I practiced on a 94' Corde at the junkyard. You have to remove that chrome strip and there are rivets under it. Remove the rivets and the door panel pops off.
Remove the rivets? What about putting it back on the car? Just put new rivets back in I'm guessing.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
What I did was just pull the panel off. The rivets are welded to the doors. When I pulled the panel off, it damaged it but left the rivets intact.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something else I wonder about, is if I use a heat gun to remove the chrome strips, I wonder if that will ruin the chrome. I'm guessing I might be better off just using a putty knife to peel the chrome off and then just buying some trim adhesive as it states to do in my Chrysler service manual.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I just peeled it off, it runied the chrome but I didnt care, it was at the junkyard. You could just use a putty knife and slowly and carefully pry it off. Theres just 2 sided tape holding in on.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Matt86 said:
rep for you too!

btw..love the car, and the Emerald green paint. My old 94' Intrepid was emerald green.
Wow, that was fast... I have rep from you already and I just posted it! Thanks for the comment! I like the color of yours too. My poor car's paint is coming off the roof a bit. Dealer told me around $200 to repaint it, and if I get a spoiler painted at the same time it'd be around $30-40 to paint it. I asked about a deal on that cause I have been wanting a factory looking spoiler for the rear for a while. The bad thing with my paint is it shows every little bit of dirt and scratches. That's why I like the silver, and it really shines when it's clean.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts