DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever taken the black plastic piece off of thier car, its right under the windshield and has the wippers coming through it. I think I need to get it off to find the source of my non-functioning wippers but being 9 years old and plastic I think I'm going to have to be careful, any missed clips etc and I'll probably break it. Also I'm a little stumped as to how the wipper arms are going to come off.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You probably have one of those white linkage caps fail on you.

The wipers come off by lifting them up(like you are changing the blades) then there is a metal piece(near the base) that moves toward the windsheild, once that is done then you can work the arms off.

The cowl just has plastis screws that come out easy, just watch the two on the ends, they are a little tricky.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Here's a How-To that may help you:

Windshield Wiper Arm
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Wiper Arm and Blade

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

Fig. 1: On the side of the arm assembly is a washer hose, pull it apart at the connection

Fig. 2: Release the locking tab to lift the arm up

Fig. 3: Using a combination pulling and rocking motion, separate the arm from the pivot

Fig. 4: Arm adjustment blackout areas

Place the wiper arm and blade into the PARK position and turn the ignition OFF.

Disconnect the wiper hose at the plastic in-line connector. Do not discard the in-line connector.

Lift up the wiper arm to raise the blade off of the glass, then move the retainer tab to hold the arm up.

Remove the arm from the pivot using a rocking motion.

To install:

Insert the wiper hose on the wiper arm into the connector. Place the wiper arm and blade assembly onto the pivot.

Before snapping the unit into place, adjust the blade arm assembly so that it does not hit the bottom of the windshield. It should be no more than 1 inch (24mm) from the bottom of the windshield.

Operate the wipers and check for distance travel of the blade. Refer to the illustration for the blackout areas.

Wiper Linkage
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 11

Fig. 1: Separate the hood seal from the cowl panel

Fig. 2: Unscrew the cowl panel ...

Fig. 3: ... then lift the unit from the vehicle

Fig. 4: Remove the linkage mounting bolts

Fig. 5: Disconnect the wiring to the wiper motor

Fig. 6: You can either remove the unit to work on it ...

Fig. 7: ... or unbolt the linkage on the vehicle

Fig. 8: And remove the assembly after detaching all of the components

Fig. 9: Use a ball joint/tie rod separator to separate the caps from the wiper linkage

Fig. 10: Using a socket larger than the cap is necessary to remove them

Fig. 11: Exploded view of the cap and seals on the wiper linkage

Lift up on the driver's side wiper arm and move the retainer tab fully away from the wiper arm.

Grasp the blade and arm assembly and pull up off the wiper arm shaft.

Disconnect the washer hose on the driver's side blade from the metal line.

Unplug the washer hose on the right blade from the metal line.

Lift up on the passenger's side wiper arm and move the retainer tab fully away from the wiper arm.

Grasp the blade and arm assembly and pull up off of the wiper arm shaft.

Remove the rear hood seal along with the cowl screen.

Remove the linkage assembly mounting bolts.

Disconnect the wiper arm linkage, using a ball joint/tie rod separator, separate the ball cap from the ball.

Remove the caps by placing a cap shoulder over a socket larger than the shoulder. Tap on the cap into the socket and remove.

Disconnect the electrical wiring harness.

Extract the wiper motor/linkage assembly.

To install:

Connect the electrical wiring harness.

Place the linkage on the socket, then install the cap into position over the socket and tap on the shoulder of the cap to lock it into position.

Connect the washer hose.

Position the wiper linkage/motor assembly and secure it with the mounting bolts.

Tighten the mounting bolts to 8-10 ft. lbs. (11-14 Nm).

Cycle the wipers once and allow them to park to make sure that they are installed in the correct position.

Install the cowl screen and rear hood seal. Tighten the screen hold-down bolts.

Inspect the weather-stripping to ensure full engagement to the upper lip of the dash panel (firewall).

Connect the right washer hoses to the hoses on the wiper arms.

Slide the wiper arms onto the shafts until they snap in place. Install the wiper arms onto the shaft orienting it so that the tip of the blade is 1 inch (25mm) from the bottom of the windshield.

Start the vehicle and check for proper operation.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k-nash said:
You probably have one of those white linkage caps fail on you.
Thats my theory as well, I just hope I can buy only that part at the parts store. Anyone ever successfully done this, if so where? UAP? NAPA? a part number would be really sweet.

One other question in the how to, it mentions using a ball joint/tie rod separator, can I get away with using something else? I don't have this tool in my inventory but I've got most anything else in basic hand tools.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I saw that cap at Murray's here in MI, It was manufactered by HELP, don't know part number. You should find that the linkage will pop off for you or it already is(hence no wipers) I didn't use any special tolls when it happened to me.

I would replace all the linkage caps so you don't have to do this again.

Damn STRONGT is the man here. All of the help you offer is truly awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts