DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 3.5L has the cold start knock. Sounds like it is from bottom of motor. Does anyone know if it would be possible to replace crank or rod bearings from under the car? Or does this have to be done from above?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have a 95 ES that knocks when its started up. after about 5-6 seconds it goes away. I dont know where its coming from exactly. It sounds as if its coming from the ac to be honest.It hasnt alarmed me to much though. Sorry I cant help you out :( You just reminded me of my knock also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 97 3.5l has always knocked at cold startup. It lasts for about 2 to 3 seconds maybe. I keep clean oil in it and I am not too worried about it for now. As long as it stops in those couple of seconds I think we are OK.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
my '97 3.5 always did that knock on a cold startup as well, i never concerned myself with it either since it did that the day i got it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
my 3.5 does that no matter what the ambient air temp is when i start it - it also only seems to be on the first start of the day, even if the engine gets completely cold in between uses (6-7 hours or more in some cases). doesn't bother me that much because it always quiets right down and greets me with that cool intrepid snarl that enthralls me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like you are referring to the noise that the hydraulic valve lifters make when they have been sitting for a while. Usually overnight the oil will drain away from the lifters, and when you start the engine they knock. After a couple of seconds the oil pressure builds up and the knocking stops. Its not anything to worry about. Many cars with hydraulic lifters do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts