DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at advance auto parts website about replacing the lower passenger side ball joint. It looks like I need several tools to do so. Those tools would cost more than just replacing the control arm.

What tools are necessary?
Is it easier to just replace the whole control arm?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I do believe there is a special tool to use but it isn't needed. i think it was the one that just holds the arm while getting the nut off. I got mine off with one of my wrenches no idea what size it is though. And yes you need the whole lower control arm. kind of pricey.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No special tools needed, just a big adjustable wrench to hold the forward strut rod that attaches to the lower control arm with a big ass nut. There are flat spots that a wrench goes on to keep it from rotating.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Go to Rockauto.com and buy it from there. It is alot cheaper.

I was shocked when I found out that the whole control arm needs to be replaced too. Every other car I have had, it was seperate from the arm.

BTW, you will need a grease gun to put some grease into the cup after you install it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's alot cheaper and easier than when I put the one in my Cirrus. $125.00 for the lower control arm, and the think is a monster. It was a pain to get out and a bigger pain to put in. Having said that, if you are replacing one ball joint, you should probably do both. They tend to wear about the same and for the treps they are very reasonable. Get the bushings for the strut rod too since you will have it all apart. They are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm about to do this job on my '96 Eagle Vision. The above link is dead and I'm seeing the lower control arm going for $30 from autozone, is this right/the only part I need?
autozone .com/autozone/parts/1996-Eagle-Vision-ESI/Control-Arm-Lower/_/N-j4wjhZ8oz70?filterByKeyWord=control+arm&fromString=search

I put a space before the .com because I can't post links

·
Registered
18 Posts
It think the hardest part is removing the inner nuts and bolts on the LCA. If you are in the rust belt it may be very hard. You will need to have quite a bit of leverage. If you have an impact wrench with an impact universal joint, socket and extension it may make your life much easier.

I have never seen the ball joint sold alone. Not that it isn't. I just have never seen it. Typically you use a ball joint press to remove it. You can rent a ball joint press tool kit at a big box parts store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts