DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have just spent a bunch of time replacing an EGR that did not need it. :baller::hulk:. I replaced it and codes are still there. They are:

1. P0401 = EGR Systiem Failure - Reeqiuired change in Ar/fule ration not detected during diagnostic test.
2. P0406 = EGR Position Sensor Volts Too High - EGR position sensor input above the acceptable voltage range.

I then decided to check the voltages on the connector to the EGR. I found I do not have the 12 volts on Pin 6 of the EGR Connector. I have checked the fuse (ASD Fuse) and it appears to be OK. The manual says to check the "ASD RELAY". I cannot find a relay called "ASD Relay". There is on called the "Auto Shutdown Relay". I swapped the Auto Shutdown Relay with the "Rad Fan Hi/Lo Relay" to see if it changed. These are the same type of relay and both are normally closed relays. There was no difference. I do have a code saying the my throttle position sensor is bad (P0123 -Throttle position sensor voltage High. I checked it out. With the throttle closed it is reading correctly, approximately 0.6 volts. At wide open is is only reading about 3.8 and it should be reading 5. Will a bad throttle position sensor cause the ASD Relay to not provide power to the EGR coil?

Any heip would be great.

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
...I found I do not have the 12 volts on Pin 6 of the EGR Connector. I have checked the fuse (ASD Fuse) and it appears to be OK. The manual says to check the "ASD RELAY". I cannot find a relay called "ASD Relay". There is on called the "Auto Shutdown Relay"...
That is the ASD Relay.

I swapped the Auto Shutdown Relay with the "Rad Fan Hi/Lo Relay" to see if it changed. These are the same type of relay and both are normally closed relays...
The contacts used are normally open (meaning when coil is not energized, that contact is open; closes when coil energized).

I do have a code saying the my throttle position sensor is bad (P0123 -Throttle position sensor voltage High. I checked it out. With the throttle closed it is reading correctly, approximately 0.6 volts. At wide open is is only reading about 3.8 and it should be reading 5...
FSM says a max. of 4.5 at WOT. 3.8 is likely good - certainly not high.

Will a bad throttle position sensor cause the ASD Relay to not provide power to the EGR coil?...
Not sure, but your TPS voltages appear to be good from your readings - possbily intermittent?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts