DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to install a new or remanufactured AC Compressor on a 1994 intrepid 3.3L. Looks like it's mounted to the engine with 3 or 4 bolts. But what about the 2 lines, one high pressure and one low? Anybody ever disconnect these lines or replace a compressor on any similar vehicle. Where do I disconnect the 2 lines and should I know anything special???

Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Some compressors come without the manifold. You must use the original. The compressor will come with a new gasket. You have to remove the compressor from the engine and then you can get to the allen bolts that hold the manifold to the compressor. Make sure that you pre-lube the replacement compressor and turn the clutch many times before installation.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
also if your system still has refrigerant in it you have to take it somewhere to get it taken out; you shouldnt release it into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both replies. The systems has a slow leak, 1-2 cans every summer but I'll make sure it's purged properly.....plus I assume it should be depressurized before starting any work anyway.

And I'll look carefully at the manifold situation on both the old and new.

Mark

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If it does come with the manifold, just remove the allen bolts that hold the aluminum lines to the manifold and replace the o-rings before reassembly. Be sure to lube the o-rings. I assumed that there was no charge in the system. As previously stated, you will have to have the refrigerant recovered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It looks like there are 2 "plates", about 2" square, each with large allen bolts that secure each line to the compressor. The refrigerant, which is R134a by the way, is all but empty. Thanks for all the help so far.....

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update.
Turned out it was an easy job. I didn't touch the two individual lines. After thourougly de-greasing and de-griming the old manifold, the whole manifold came off by removing 4 allen bolts. I wrapped it in clean plastic and propped it out of the way while removing and installing the new compressor. Oiled the new unit and bolted on the manifold. Unit came with a new mainfold gasket shaped basically like a square figure "8". About 2 hours total.

PS - got the reconditioned compressor off ebay w/ 1 yr warranty for $119.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Glad to hear that all is okay.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
i get to do this again.. i grabbed a junkyard compressor last year.. it works.. but makes a horrible wracket.. i'm gonna go for a new/reman'd one this time..

·
Registered
503 Posts
are you going to a shop to have the system evacuated and recharged or do it yourself? replacing parts is 1 thing but a/c systems need to be vacuumed and charged properly or they never seem to work right. you have to check your low/hi pressures to make sure they are within spec.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just had my remanifactured compressor drier/acummulator or whatever that I bought off ebay installed today. to flush the lines and install and recharge it and a new belt cost me $350. it is ice cold now. my old compressor was siezed. think I got away easy. :frenzy:

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
joe_mn said:
are you going to a shop to have the system evacuated and recharged or do it yourself? replacing parts is 1 thing but a/c systems need to be vacuumed and charged properly or they never seem to work right. you have to check your low/hi pressures to make sure they are within spec.
i got buddy with a a/c recovery/service machine.. so its not a big worry for me.. i just use it afterhours..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts