DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A local mechanic said I need a left engine mount, and a transmission mount. Should I order solid rubber or hydraulic mounts? I've heard the solid rubber mounts transmit more vibration than the hydraulic mounts do.

Any recommendations, and is this a job best left to a garage with a lift? I can do minor jobs like brakes and such, although I did replace my water pump and timing belt last year myself.

1996 Chrysler Concorde LXi, 3.5 engine.

Registered
If solid available, that would be my choice. Less expensive and longer lasting. I worked at a transmission and repair shop when these cars were relevant. They are not hard to replace but I always had a lift. Think it would be doable on jack stands with good jack, I'm just to lazy to do any work that way any more.馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, flatheadvff.

In my experiences with this car, it is not real easy to find a convenient location for jack stands, but I guess I could place them under the sub-frame for a job like this? I guess it's not a good idea to put jack stands along the edge of the body panel, is it? (where the scissor jack goes)

A bottle jack might be helpful for lifting the engine and transaxle.

Registered
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Life is always busy, and I don't get on my computer very often. Yes the seam along the bottom edge of the car, where instructions show to put scissor jack, would be a good point to put jack stands. Most modern jack stands actually have a dip in the middle for just that. Just for future reference, since you already hired a mechanic, which if you can afford to, is a good and convenient decision. I have to tell myself sometimes, just because I can do something doesn't make it the most efficient way to get it done. After twenty years, I finally figured out I would never get my carport built myself so I finally contracted it done it done (Less then 6 months)and now have my lift, parts washer, work bench, grinder, swamp coolers, and basically shop set up and am getting jobs done that have been waiting for years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts