DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '97 Intrepid ES with the 3.5. I was trying to replace the front drivers side hub assembly and ran into a snag. Removed the tire, rotor, and caliper assembly with no problems. Trying to remove the 3 bolts holding the assembly is the challenge. There is a gear sprocket of some sort behind the assembly that is just a little too wide and won't let me get a socket on the bolts. Has anybody run into this and discovered any easy way to remove these bolts?

·
Dain bramaged
7,208 Posts
the "gear" is for the abs/traction control sensor.

remove the axle and you'll find the gear goes with the axle..

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I just replaced both of my hubs a few weeks ago. To get at the bolts, you have to
loosen the middle bolt that holds the drive axel into the hub. You then have to push
the axel back a bit, by using a pulling/pushing tool. You will then be able to get at
all three of the hub bolts. But I will give you this advice, when you put the new hubs back in, make sure you tighten the bolts. I have had problems with the bolts not being
tight enough, and in fact, I may have to tighten the passenger side front hub tonight.
I had to tighten the driver's side this past Tuesday night. I had brought the car in for an alignment last weekend, and the driver's side was loose, so much so that you could see the bolts moving when the wheel was moved! Perhaps replacing the bolts along with the hubs is the key. I may try doing that.

·
Registered
462 Posts
flowersc said:
I just replaced both of my hubs a few weeks ago. To get at the bolts, you have to
loosen the middle bolt that holds the drive axel into the hub. You then have to push
the axel back a bit, by using a pulling/pushing tool. You will then be able to get at
all three of the hub bolts. But I will give you this advice, when you put the new hubs back in, make sure you tighten the bolts. I have had problems with the bolts not being
tight enough, and in fact, I may have to tighten the passenger side front hub tonight.
I had to tighten the driver's side this past Tuesday night. I had brought the car in for an alignment last weekend, and the driver's side was loose, so much so that you could see the bolts moving when the wheel was moved! Perhaps replacing the bolts along with the hubs is the key. I may try doing that.
Use Loctite on the bolts so they do not back out. They are pretty small bolts, if you over tighten them they will break.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts