DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a bit of a paypal balance and i've decided i'm going to replace my maplights front and back with blue LEDs off of Ebay
I have already tried the regular blue coated 194 bulbs and the blue looked awesome but they offered NO light whatsoever, forcing me to go back to regular old white 194 bulbs
I have read that LED bulbs are not generally as bright as regular bulbs and the way to increase brightness is to buy bulbs that have several LEDs in them
There are several sellers on Ebay with blue 6 LED bulbs, but they have rediculously high shipping costs. So, I have been in search of a well priced pair of blue 194 size 4 or 5 LED bulbs.
Does anybody have a recommendation of a good ebay seller for automotive LED bulbs?
Anybody have any experience with LED bulbs in their maplights?
Can I really get good, bright light from leds?
and lastly, will these 5-led bulbs work?

I did do a forum search and I came up empty, I figured it would have been something that would have been discussed more, but I suppose not.
Thanks! As you can see i'm a bit of an LED newb.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
ucan make them urself.... i have 6 leds per bulb now. Ive been really busy with other school work, i plan on getting a bigger IC in there to allow about 12 leds per bulb.

Make sure u get superflux leds, they are automotive grade. The 2 pin leds are really poor.

Good luck... BTW nice exhaust.... what are u running now?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
EDIT.... just checked out the sig thread..

im waiting on the special exhaust since i hate that little sxt tip.... plus no sound.
Very clean setup

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is a superflux led?
never heard of one, im used to just seeing the regular type that are on ebay, are those superflux?
and I couldn't make them myself, i have no mind for electronics...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
LOL..... ok..

the superflux leds have 4 legs and they are the leds u see in g35 tails, and new cadillac escalade front turn signals, kia turn signals on the amanti.

Anyways this is what a superflux led looks like, its wider (70-120 degrees) vs the traditional 15-25degs and therefore its produces more light (lm).

they have them on ebay as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/L-SHIP-50-X-R-H...ryZ66952QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but, umm, that cant just go into a car though right?
i mean, i can tell it definitely cant, but i like that fact that it would be brighter

i basically want Blue bulbs that will be as bright or brighter than the stock filament 194s, but will be blue
that is my only requirement: blue
and cheap, cheap would be good too, as it seems a bit rediculous to me to have to spend $20 for 4 bulbs

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how do you like them Pat?
hows the brightness on them and what color do you have?

i did see them from that site, found the link on google, i just kinda wanted to use my paypal balance and not have to bug my dad for the credit card, plus there were a couple options on ebay that were cheaper than that site

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
since our trep maplights have the base at such a wierd angle a typical wedge led is kinda pointless. You need a 90deg neck on the 168 led bulb to get the most light out of it. Dont forget leds are polarity sensitive as well. I think the evic plug can be turned around tho.

That site uses all 5mm leds, not the most reliable but cheap i guess. (2.99$/bulb)

They use 1 superflux and 4 5mm leds for a total of 5 leds per 168.

This is a pic of my white (~6000k). They are dimmer than bulbs thats for sure, but they have been in there for a good 2 yrs now with no problems.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha forgive me ciprian, but you are confusing me
so should i just say screw it and keep my yellowy incandescents?
or is it really worth it to look around all over for a 90degree led bulb that will end up being like $20 a piece?
Is there a happy medium?
is there a blue led bulb on ebay that is fairly inexpensive that will be bright enough in my EVIC for me to actually read a map and actually have some nice blue light when I get in the car, instead of the blue incandescent style with no real light output at all?

forgive me for asking so many questions, it just seems like there is no solution for what I want

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i've got an 97' intrepid i was wondering the same thing with changing the light colors, but how do you get to the light bulbs i cant figure that out..

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If you want something brighter, these do the trick. Very nice!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
froggy81500 said:
Try these. I've had one of these bulbs on the driver's side for quite awhile now. Nice and bright. Gotta be careful bending the pins though.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66874&highlight=brighter+light
My attempt at using those 10W bulbs never did quite work. I had a problem with a loose connection between the bulb and the socket - so it would cut in and out whenever it pleased. It was bright though.. I would question that bulb in the rear courtesy lights because of the potential heat

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yeah, the first bulb I played around with until I broke it, I had trouble with it staying in contact. But the second one, I bent the pins up just right and its been in there trouble-free since like March I think.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Code2medic said:
Very easy fix

Go here:

http://autolumination.com/194.htm

And do what i did purchase the very first bulb 5 led wedge they fit perfect and are bright as hell. i also have them in the backs and in all 4 door lights.
tomico can tell you how bright my car is now
Just ordered the blue 194's from there. 7 bucks apiece by 4 plus 3 for shipping. I have the incandescent blue which suck. Will report back when I get em..
Thanks for the link!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts