DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Intrepid SE I’ve found needs a new steering rack. The steering is super loose going straight and it’s to the point where going over bumps makes the car dart all over the road. I’ve found replacement steering racks from Detroit Axle and I’m not sure which one to order. There’s a normal one and one with “proportional speed steering”. I know the 300m had a performance handling group available so is the proportional speed rack the one for the PHG? If so, would that work with my car?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
take a look at your rack. you'll see the plug in near whee the power steering lines connect if you have it
then you'll know for sure.
you've ruled all else out?
alignment is good?
strut mounts and other steering components all tight?
connection and joints under the dash good?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take a look at your rack. you'll see the plug in near whee the power steering lines connect if you have it
then you'll know for sure.
you've ruled all else out?
alignment is good?
strut mounts and other steering components all tight?
connection and joints under the dash good?
Everything is all good. The lower control arm bushings need to be changed eventually since they’ve perished but the steering is tight apart from the rack. I just had my tie rods done last summer too. It’s developed a lot of steering play and an occasional clunk when turning. Sometimes when going over bumps in the road, the car just veers off in any direction it wants.

Also I think it does have a plug on the rack. It looks to be on the passenger side. Is that it or no?
Water Automotive tire Drinkware Serveware Grass

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
like mine, it's on the drivers side if you have it.
bushing fall out of your rack mount?
not sure what's in your picture.
if your mount bushings are bad you'll get play too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like mine, it's on the drivers side if you have it.
bushing fall out of your rack mount?
not sure what's in your picture.
if your mount bushings are bad you'll get play too.
Ok. I think my uncle (who was the previous owner) said it had a plug in it. I got the one with the plug and it should be here by the end of next week. When I take the rack out, I’ll check the mounts.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
Proportional steering was usually found as an option on some LHS and Concordes. I doubt any Intrepid SE got one.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
You can still use it. It'll be a fixed ratio which is the normal stock. It just won't be variable.

Reactions: GrayIntrepid04

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm on my other account on my computer. It's almost about to come out but the pin that connects the rack to the steering column won't budge. Does anyone know a good way to remove it so I can change the rack? Any info will be great! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
I'm on my other account on my computer. It's almost about to come out but the pin that connects the rack to the steering column won't budge. Does anyone know a good way to remove it so I can change the rack? Any info will be great! Thanks!
Most people pound it out with a hammer and pin punch, but there's a special tool made to press it out (and back in): Miller (or Mopar) Tool 6831A

I don't like the idea of beating on the rack shaft with a hammer. I never had to R&R the rack and pinion on either of my Concordes, but if I ever had needed to, I definitely would have bought that tool. You can find it at several places with an internet search for about $85. Here's a place with it for $61 - don't know what their shipping would be: 6831A, R/R, STEERING LINKAGE - Mopar Essential Tools and Service Equipment

Sometimes see them on ebay. Not seeing it on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
if you disconnect it from under the dash, you can pull it out farther to work on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most people pound it out with a hammer and pin punch, but there's a special tool made to press it out (and back in): Miller (or Mopar) Tool 6831A

I don't like the idea of beating on the rack shaft with a hammer. I never had to R&R the rack and pinion on either of my Concordes, but if I ever had needed to, I definitely would have bought that tool. You can find it at several places with an internet search for about $85. Here's a place with it for $61 - don't know what their shipping would be: 6831A, R/R, STEERING LINKAGE - Mopar Essential Tools and Service Equipment

Ok. Thanks! I was trying to go at it with a needle nose plyers but no such luck. Ill have to order this tool asap!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Also, when I get the part, how do I use it correctly?

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
I doubt if the parts stores have the tool to rent or borrow. For one thing, I think it is specific to Chrysler vehicles. But, wouldn't hurt to check.

Don't know if it would be worthwhile to buy it, use it once, then sell on ebay as a used-but-not-abused tool. Is it worth all the trouble to save a few bucks? I did see a used one on ebay yesterday. $90 or best offer, free shipping - might as well buy new unless they'll take a low-ball offer:

Reactions: JordanS

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I doubt if the parts stores have the tool to rent or borrow. For one thing, I think it is specific to Chrysler vehicles. But, wouldn't hurt to check.

Don't know if it would be worthwhile to buy it, use it once, then sell on ebay as a used-but-not-abused tool. Is it worth all the trouble to save a few bucks? I did see a used one on ebay yesterday. $90 or best offer, free shipping - might as well buy new unless they'll take a low-ball offer:

Alright thanks! Appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts