DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
??

im not sure what u mean by strut plates. the strut un bolts from the body/suspension and the spring comes out with it. compress the spring, remove strut, put new strut in and uncompress spring. there are foam spring seats that are at each end of the spring to stop squeaking, but you can reuse them, even if they look worn out, there is still enough material there to do the job. (dealer quoted me $45 for each one...x 8-two for each strut!!!!!!!) i replaced my original struts with kyb's and honestly im not impressed with them. my old ones had 87k miles on them and they were shot (no kidding) and the new kybs offered no improved feel imo. if i were to rewind the clock i would have saved some major $$ and bought gabriel or monroe, or whatever was offered at the store.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 3 choices are Gabriel,Kyb,and Monroe.I'm overseas right now,and the wife is getting it done at the shop..These are the 3 brands i have to chose from..

·
Registered
301 Posts
I concur with tjhess74. I just replaced my 4 struts with 79K on them with GR2 and I'm not that impressed with them, either. my car has lost its crisp and solid, planted feel. It does ride buttery smooth, though. so if smooth ride is all you want, go GR2. Otherwise, I would consider MOnroe.

·
Registered
117 Posts
also check

check this page if you havent already....
http://dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51548

this is a good write up a should let you know what parts youll need, etc...

off subject, a marine buddy of mine just got back from iraq today, it was good to hear from him. stay concealed...from the sun and the enemy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
save some bucks, go with whichever of the two are cheaper or in stock, gabriels or monroe. both should be very comperable. :beat:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh i'm sorry that was just for the front.100.00 in labor 50.00 each side,and 100.00 for each strut and then the price of the new strut plates..

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Ouch. I paid a hundred a corner for my Monroe Reflex struts 2 years ago at the local Goodyear/Gemini dealer.

Any places in Syracuse giving better prices? Not many places in Watertown to choose from as I remember. And all way too expensive. The Ford dealership once wanted $1000 (in 1997!) to replace the a/c compressor on my Bronco II. I was visiting friends in Boston and took the Bronco to a dealership there. They replaced the seals on the compressor and charged up the system for about $150-.

Is there still an auto hobby shop on post? Installing stuts isn't too hard as long as you have a spring compressor tool. Maybe one of the instructors in the shop would be able to help.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Watertown is crazy...I called Monroe Brake and muffler and got 303.44 for the front 2

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Yup, I lived in Watertown for 2 years after I got back to the 'states (15 years overseas, 10 of it in Europe). I remember 100 inches of snow by Christmas one year, all of it in my driveway......

My GF was the O-4 XO at the dental clinic on post and we both taught at the Dry Hill ski area just outside of town. I spent a lot of time there teaching skiing and winter survival to guys from the 10th. Not that that training is doing them any good now..........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts