DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I need to replace one of my transmission cooler lines. Last winter I repaired a pinhole leak with JB Weld and I'd like something more permanent.

So I have two questions:

1. Where would I obtain another cooler line? I've seen tubing like that at parts stores, but if that is what I would get, how would I bend it to match the line I was removing?

2. How much ATF will I lose when I remove the line?

Ok, I guess that was three questions.

Thanks, all.

I

·
0 Posts
I don't think you can replace just the hose. I believe the hose mates to a metal fittament that actually drains/feeds ATF through the transmission. Its one whole part, from the radiator to the transmission itself.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
there not too expensive from the dealer,, and really quite easy to put on too,, well thats if you have a rack to put the car up on,, i usually yank the old ones out fromthe front, your gonna have to bend them a bit,, and knowing a few swear words dont hurt either,, them just fish them back in,, make sure there tight and your good to go,, you may loose a pint of fluid or so,, good luck :circle:

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can speed up removal by cutting the metal lines near the trans. with some small bolt cutters.
They will also mostly seal the lines and prevent fluid from leaking out from the transmission and the lines.
Remove the hoses at the radiator and start installing reversal (it is pretty tough to route the metal lines in, just don't bend too much or break).

I've read of others just replacing the rubber hose part, but without flanging out the metal lines where you cut them off, you run risk of the rubber line coming off and leaking out your fluid....damaging your > $1000 transmission.
It's worth the cost of the full hoses and work.

Kenneth

1 - 4 of 4 Posts