DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a crack in my windshield that is too long too be patched, so I am getting a whole new windshield. I can get it replaced with an after-market windshield for $180.

Has anyone had or heard of problems with an after-market windshield vs. an OEM windshield? My gut tells me safety glass is safety glass.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had a few windshields replaced over the years and now insist that only an OEM glass be installed. I've found some aftermarket windshields to be junk. A word of warning! The more quality control OK stickers they have them, the worse they are. I recall one that was installed in my 87 Taurus that had QC stickers all over it and was so distorted that I got a headache while driving home. I called State Farm and had them get the installer to return with a Ford windshield. No problem with that one. The last thing you need is a distorted windshield. Go over it carefully before you pay. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
143 Posts
Buy major brands only. Safelite is nationwide and makes their own glass. They are junk, in my opinion. Stay away from Armorplate, which is a real popular cheap glass with installers.

PPG, Pilkington (who recently bought LOF), Carlex, and Saint Gobain Sekurit are major aftermarket brands and of superior quality.

Contrary to popular belief, Chrysler no longer manufactures their own glass, nor does any major automaker. "Safeguard" and a Chrysler logo is stamped on the glass, but beneath it there's a manufacturer name. Lately, I've seen Pilkington/LOF and APTech (US division of Asahi)

Ford subcontracts to Visteon (Carlite). GM subcontracts it to PPG and has for many years. The Europeans almost all use Saint Gobain Sekurit and Pilkington. Most of the Japanese use Asahi, APTech (American-made cars), and Nippon Glass. Nissan uses a glassmaker called Carlex for their Tennessee-built cars.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
In2Deep said:
Don't y'all have insurance for these kinds of things??!!
Why your rates will go up. Just go to a pick and pull junkyard and pay them 50 bucks for it and do it yourself. 10 bucks at advance for the sealer.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
So has anyone actually pulled out an LH windsheild? I recall the one on my Intrepid was huge, so going to a junkyard and "doing it yourself" sounds easier than it probably really is.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
So has anyone actually pulled out an LH windsheild? I recall the one on my Intrepid was huge, so going to a junkyard and "doing it yourself" sounds easier than it probably really is.
I've done it on a couple vans, and their windshields are probably larger.

-Brandon

·
Registered
143 Posts
A windshield repair or replacement is a comprehensive claim...just like if your car gets hailed on, flooded, tree falls on it, catches on fire, is stolen, vandalized, etc. Your rates CAN and WILL go up. Mine went up $400 every 6 months because of ONE windshield repair.

NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
211 Posts
if that's making your rates go up, you need a new insurance company

definitely use a sealer from DuPont or 3M, everything else I've ever used completely sucks

·
Registered
174 Posts
My girlfriend hit a deer in the beginning of last year. total cost of repairs were over $1600, cost her $100. and our insurance didn't go up, it actually drop a bit. We go through Allied, been with them for about 5 years. Actually have had the same agent for 13 years.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had a number of windshields replaced over the years and never got a rate increase from State Farm. You can get an increase if the insurance company has to pay to repair someone else's car but you should not get one to replace your own windshield. After all, you've paid into the "kitty" from which the repair money is taken. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My deal with that is, why wait for the insurance claim to be processed, have someone come up and check it out, then for them to right the claim up and send the check, then go have somebody put it in for you, when you can get your lazy ass up, go to the junk yard, buy a 50$ peice of glass, and install it yourself with a little sealer?? And, on top of that, not risk the chance of your insurance going up??? Damn..

-Brandon :auto_06: :auto_06:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have had 2 windshield replacements. Never had to have the insurance company (Allstate) look at it. They just told me to take it to the Glass Place (Lee & Cates Glass) and have it replaced. No deductible. :invasion:

·
Banned
292 Posts
So how do you remove a windsheild from a junk car? How do you reinstall it? I've got a giant crack in mine too, and i'm selling the car soon so having a nice windshield would be good to have in.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I've been with Allstate for the past 17 years. I've replaced close to a dozen windshields during that time, and my insurance rates NEVER went up because of them. I've also never filed the claim through the insurance company. I called the glass company, they came out and replaced them, and they sent the bill to my insurance...simple as that! No waiting for any claim checks or anything.... Most of them have even waived all, or at least 50% of my deductible. Why spend $50 for a used piece of glass that still needs to be installed, when you can have a new one installed for about the same cost??!! Doesn't make sense to me. This is exacty what I pay my insurance company for!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
xSocialMisfit said:
So how do you remove a windsheild from a junk car? How do you reinstall it? I've got a giant crack in mine too, and i'm selling the car soon so having a nice windshield would be good to have in.
Well.. I didnt have to remove mine.. I just called them a day or two before, and they had the glass ready to go when I walked in.. Just pick it up.

-Brandon

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have never heard of a glass claim increasing rates- you guys either need to actually ask your agent or get a new company.

Don't waste your time installing your own. If you don't install it right it will leak, it also will fail in an accident- the winshield supports the air bag when it's deployed in a front end collision. It's not worth the hassle or the effort Or the risk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts