DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one discuss the procedure to remove the center console (with shifter) in a 1994 Dodge Intrepid 3.3?

...along with pictures if at all possible?

and place the discussion in the "How To's"

I've searched through the 1st Gen How to's and I don't see any reference there.

thanks
michael

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
using a T15 torx loosen the set screw on the left side of the shifter, then pull the shifter knob off the shaft.
pull the ash tray from the console and remove the 1 screw on the right of the hole.
put the shifter into drive pull up on the shifter plate near the rear and up and over the shifter. unplug the lighter and remove the ash tray light by sliding it off the mount.
now you will see 2 screws in a metal bracket remove those screws.
the in the compartment there will be 2 more screws, remover those.
put the shifter into low and pull up on the rear of the console and the front at the bracket (There is a set pin in the middle of the front bracket you will need to clear.) and pull it from the dash.
Then just remove the console from the car.

as a tip I recommend pulling the cig lighter fuse cause I found mine likes to short out on the front bracket and blow the fuse.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Front Center Console

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

Fig. Fig. 1: Center console bezel

Fig. Fig. 2: Center console

Remove the center console bezel.
Remove the screw holding the forward crossmember to the floor mounting bracket.
Remove the screws holding the bottom of the glove compartment to the rear mounting bracket.
Remove the center console from the vehicle.

To install:

Position the center console in the vehicle.
Install the screws holding the bottom of the glove compartment to the rear mounting bracket.
Install the screw holding the forward crossmember to the floor mounting bracket.
Install the center console bezel.

·
Registered
550 Posts
pull the ash tray from the console and remove the 1 screw on the right of the hole.
as a tip I recommend pulling the cig lighter fuse cause I found mine likes to short out on the front bracket and blow the fuse.
After reading your post I now realized where the one leftover screw goes from the first time I pulled the dash! LOL.

The fuse thing gets me too. The second time I pulled the dash, I remembered to test the horn before driving to make sure the fuse didn't blow.

I believe there are four screws in the metal bracket, two pointing down, two pointing to the rear(kinda difficult to get the last two unless you have a small screwdriver).

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
I believe there are four screws in the metal bracket, two pointing down, two pointing to the rear(kinda difficult to get the last two unless you have a small screwdriver).
you remove the 2 screws in the middle of the bracket not the 6 on the side to remove the console from the car. that bracket stays screwed to the console sides.

·
Registered
24 Posts
using a T15 torx loosen the set screw on the left side of the shifter, then pull the shifter knob off the shaft.
put the shifter into drive pull up on the shifter plate near the rear and up and over the shifter. unplug the lighter and remove the ash tray light by sliding it off the mount.
now you will see 2 screws in a metal bracket remove those screws.
the in the compartment there will be 2 more screws, remover those.
put the shifter into low and pull up on the rear of the console and the front at the bracket (There is a set pin in the middle of the front bracket you will need to clear.) and pull it from the dash.
Then just remove the console from the car.

T15 Torx is incorrect. It is a H3/32 Allen...The rest went as described:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts