DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor’s have asked my help in repairing a fuel leak in there 2004 Intrepid ES with the 2.7L V6. Have tracked source down to a pinhole leak in the plastic fuel line on DS of engine. My (overly optimistic) hope was to remove the damaged line and replace it with with fuel injection hose. Quickly discovered there is nothing simple about this repair, though admit being far from an expert mechanic. After pulling catalytic converter, I can now access where plastic line slips meets the metal one. Can’t get my hands onto other end near top of engine to disconnect it there, however. Can anyone on here offer any tips on how to remove this line as to this point, I’ve have been able to find very little info online. Any sage words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
My neighbor’s have asked my help in repairing a fuel leak in there 2004 Intrepid ES with the 2.7L V6. Have tracked source down to a pinhole leak in the plastic fuel line on DS of engine. My (overly optimistic) hope was to remove the damaged line and replace it with with fuel injection hose. Quickly discovered there is nothing simple about this repair, though admit being far from an expert mechanic. After pulling catalytic converter, I can now access where plastic line slips meets the metal one. Can’t get my hands onto other end near top of engine to disconnect it there, however. Can anyone on here offer any tips on how to remove this line as to this point, I’ve have been able to find very little info online. Any sage words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
If this is the plastic fuel supply line between the firewall and rear of engine, you could follow my advice from post no. 2 in this thread: fuel leak in rear, other fuel line questions
and post nos. 2, 5, and 6 in this thread: 2002 Concorde Fuel line repair questions

The exact size of fuel injector hose and clamps you use will depend on if you choose to cut off the plastic line where it transitions to metal line (clamping injector hose over the old plastic bonded to the metal) or peel the plastic line completely off of the metal lines (clamping fuel injector hose directly to metal). My preference would be to completely remove/peel the plastic line off, but probably quicker and easier to put new injector hose over old plastic line bonded to metal line.

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt response. I’ve looked through the links you provided and they are very helpful. One question I still have is what steps you used to actually remove the damaged line from the engine? I can get to the end of the metal line coming from the back of the car to where the plastic line slips over it. What I have not yet been able to determine is how precisely to disconnect the plastic connector that fits onto the metal line near top of engine. My hands won’t fit into that tight space to allow me to compress the two ‘ears’ on the connector. At one point, I’d even considered removing the intake plenum to have room to work, but was unclear if that is a prudent approach. It’s possible I’m missing something, but don’t know what that might be.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
I disconnected the flex line-to-fuel rail quick disconnect easily, but it was about 6 or 7 years ago, and I no longer have the car to look at. My best recollection is that I used either the straight or angled one of the long-reach pliers that I have from Harbor Freight (see link below) to gently squeeze the release tabs with the pliers in one hand while gently tugging on the flex line with the other hand to separate the mating halves. I do remember that I had a bit of apprehension that it was going to be difficult to get them apart (or to do so without breaking something), but that when it came down to actually doing it, it turned out to be amazingly easy and quick to do. As long as you manage to get the two tabs slightly or moderately squoze, the line pulls right out.

(The FSM tells you to depressurize the fuel lines before disconnecting the quick disconnect by removing the fuel pump relay and running the engine out of fuel. A couple of codes may be set that will need to be reset with a code reader.)

This set of long-reach pliers has come in handy in several situations. IIRC, this was one of those situations. My wife got me those as a stocking stuffer one Christmas. I probably never would have bought them on my own - they looked to me like a silly idea - but I was wrong:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts