DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like how the magnum looks but am afraid the resale value will be bad. The rental car companies already have them, and it seems to me any car that is widely available to rent has terrible resale value. I'm sure once the initial buzz wears off, DC will dishing out the incentives on these which also doesn't help. You guys think there is any hope resale value wise?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
The worst of the resale value ones will be the 2.7 ones, the 5.7 will probably have the highest because of the motor.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
red2k300m said:
I really like how the magnum looks but am afraid the resale value will be bad. The rental car companies already have them, and it seems to me any car that is widely available to rent has terrible resale value. I'm sure once the initial buzz wears off, DC will dishing out the incentives on these which also doesn't help. You guys think there is any hope resale value wise?

It's a Chrysler, don't buy one if resale is a concern. You are right about the incentives comming soon. Remenber the PT. The first 8-10 months were hard to get after that they sat in the lots even with big incentives. The LX's won't age well. In a year or two they will look like yesterdays news.

·
Registered
866 Posts
In the end, all the "cookie cutter" sedans win out and stay at the top of the sales race. Taraus, Camry, Impala, Intrepid, Century, Regal, Accord etc always sell well. Whenever a company comes out with something "different" there is always initial demand, which then dies off after a year or two. I test-drove a used Pacifica about 6 months ago. It was originally almost a $40,000 car. It had 18,000 miles on it, and every option except DVD player and nav. system. The Dodge dealer was asking $24,999 for it. When I decided after test-driving it I couldn't live with the anemic feeling engine, he thought I was playing the "walk away" game, and the price kept dropping. Before I left he was down to $23,000 for it. He called me up at home the next day and made a final offer of $22,300. If they could still make a profit selling it to me for that, you can only imagine how much of a bath the first buyer took when he traded it in. I'd imagine they gave him less than $20,000 for it.

I just saw the other day that D.C. is cutting the cost of the PT Crusier by 3-4 thousand. They just aren't selling now, and they want to put them in the same price market as cars like the Sentra, Corolla, Civic etc. which all start at about $12,000. People are used to them, the design is now passe, it just doesn't draw attention anymore, and it becomes what it actually is when it isn't the new kid on the block anymore. I remember not too long ago when dealers were taking orders and people were putting down deposits, sight unseen, paying thousands over sticker price.

That's usually what happens to bolder, "different" cars. The driving enthusiasts and rich people with money to throw around who just need to by the "newest thing" all rush the market to get theirs. However, the number of people who are budgeted for more mundane boring cars, or who just care about A to B transportation, and only care about getting the best value for their money is far, far greater. Most of them actually prefer boring looking cars that blend in and don't cause a ruckus in the neighborhood.

I think eventually the LX cars will find their equilibrium in the market, and resale values will drop as prices will need to drop in brand new ones to keep them moving. That's what I'm hoping anyways, and then I'll be ready to pounce on one! To me, a 300C just isn't a $34,000-$36,000 car.

Of course, all Honda has to do is tweak a few angles, change a few curves, re-make a few buttons, call it the new Accord, and it keeps selling like candy, at or just below sticker price. Resale values stay so high, you may just as well spend anothe $2000 and go brand new. Same with all the other "cookie cutters."

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
about the PT Cruiser...Chrysler is out of their friggin minds...i was looking at them while i was lookin at 300s...OMG...they have the nerve to charge $30K for a convertible...I am not going to pay $30,000 for a damn PT Cruiser...i even saw some non convertibles for around $28K, which is just absurd.

But if you are looking to buy a new car to re-sell it, you are going to lose...especially if you sell it before its paid off. To get any kind of money back, you need to have it paid off first, that way any money you get is above.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
In Canada on the chrysler web site, if you price a base Magnum R/T and check lease rates. They say the new cost is $38195.00 and after a 48 month lease the value is $15,659.95. What a hit on depreciation(41% residual value).Chrysler understands that there cars have very low resale value.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
adaptabl said:
In Canada on the chrysler web site, if you price a base Magnum R/T and check lease rates. They say the new cost is $38195.00 and after a 48 month lease the value is $15,659.95. What a hit on depreciation(41% residual value).Chrysler understands that there cars have very low resale value.
SERIOUSLY???????? I HOPE you're right!!! Then I can pick one up in a couple years for a steal!!!!!!! :D

Unfortunetely, I don't believe a word you say even if you're quoting from a direct source :(

300C is the nicest car I've ever driven or even been driving in.

$30kUS for a PT Cruiser convertable??? They go for less than that up here in Canadian $$$. $27k I believe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2005 PT CRUISER GT CONVERTIBLE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 PT CRUISER GT CONVERTIBLE
Base Price: $27,565.00
R Package $0.00
Options: $2,050.00
Color: $0.00
Destination: $590.00
MSRP: $30,205.00
Accessories: $0.00
Cash Allowance: -$500.00
Net Price: $29,705.00

2005 PT CRUISER TOURING CONVERTIBLE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 PT CRUISER TOURING CONVERTIBLE
Base Price: $22,900.00
F Package $0.00
Options: $2,320.00
Color: $0.00
Destination: $590.00
MSRP: $25,810.00
Accessories: $0.00
Cash Allowance: -$500.00
Net Price: $25,310.00

Thats the price of both models fully optioned out on the build and price it feature on the chrysler site.

·
Registered
866 Posts
An interesting note on the SRT-4, it depreciates just as much as a regular ol' Neon does. Looses about $6,000 or more the first year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Operator said:
An interesting note on the SRT-4, it depreciates just as much as a regular ol' Neon does. Looses about $6,000 or more the first year.

I guess I am going to pick one of them up for around 6 in the next 6 months

:gross_11:

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
sebzx79 said:
I guess I am going to pick one of them up for around 6 in the next 6 months

:gross_11:
I don't think they'll be that low...unless the damn thing has a loud knock inside the motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts