DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a 96 intrepid with 144000k on it. Kept the car in the garage for about three years, and started driving it again about a month ago. When I first started off I dropped the pan, changed the filter and got about 5quarts out. Put in some ATF 4+ in with the ATF 3 that was in there. Started it back up, and it ran like butter, (they are all highway miles on the car). Yesterday I unplugged the battery for about three hours while I installed a new headunit. When I started driving the car after that, it wouldn't shift out of second I think, it would only go about 40-45. Stopped the car and turned it off, turned it back on and tried again. Don't have that problem anymore, and I can't duplicate it. I have noticed a marked change in the car though, the gears shift more roughly with more vibration. My question is, is this related to when I unplugged the battery and reset the computers? Is the fact that I have a new mixture of fluid in the tranny causing problems with the computer? The car ran perfect after I did the fluid change, only after I unplugged the battery, am I noticing these things. Also, it seems like the car has much more engine braking while I drive, like it is stuck in third or something, although I don't know, the RPM's at 70mph are 2300ish? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
964 Posts
The fluid is not a problem. The TCM has to retrain itself. It forgot everything it knew about the tranny when the battery was disconnected. There is a "quick learn" procedure that the dealer could flash in the TCM for a fee but if you just keep driving the car the TCM will relearn the tranny characteristics. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
2300 RPM is about right for 70 MPH so the gear is right. We've disconnected the battery several times on our '96 Concorde (123k) with no ill effects. How many miles had it boon since the last fluid change (I understand it was a lot of time)? Maybe the input sensor has gone bad - they sometimes get debris built up on the inside of them ...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
4th gear with TC locked 100s of rpms x 3 should = mph . 2300ish at 70mph is what it should be. if you don't want to have dealer do the quick learn procedure, then you need to be patient while the puter retrains itself. It could take a week or two of daily driving to perfect itself. even at the start of the retraining you will have all 4 gears and TC lockup function. The training for the most part just teaches it when and how to shift so that it will shift smoothly when it graduates from school. It is not normal for it to go into Limp In mode during re-training or any time for that matter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really, thanks for the information, I knew the tranny should be good to go, considering every mile is highway, and the car ran perfectly after I did the ATF 4 mix, just not after I disconnected the battery. I will give it another week or so to graduate, cause I feel every hard shift right here >> <3 << :) Thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts