DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I ask for when I go to an exhaust shop to give the car a nice rumble? You remove the muffler or resonator and add that straight pipe to get that nice rumble right?

Someone please tell me exactly what to ask for so I don't get a blank stare. I saw on a website, but it wasn't specific at all. Said it could be done for under 100 bucks though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Midas shop my bud works at calls the BIG **** under the seat a muffler. Cut that out. The other thing at the rear of the car is a resonater, it gives her her sound. Besides it looks completly stock with the twin pipes coming out of the res.
The pipes are 3". They will need about a foot-foot and a half of 2.5 or bigger pipe bent into almost a "Z" shape. Have them cut the muffler out IN FRONT of the rear exhaust hanger. It helps to hold the system solid.

Hope that clears it up! I did it and love it. Ricers look at you differently when your "Family Sedan" snarls at them! ;)
It's a bit difficult to sneak around with it though, you can hear it coming! My friend did it for beer. Took 20 minutes total.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: silver ghost ]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
do what i did (or something similar) have them cut off a little bit in front of the muffler and get rid of all the old crap. I had them weld in a "y" pipe and ran straights back a little ways and had them turn out in front of the rear tires with chrome tips. sounds awesome. you could also have them run the duals straight out the back. that would look cool too.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by pimped3point3:
do what i did (or something similar) have them cut off a little bit in front of the muffler and get rid of all the old crap. I had them weld in a "y" pipe and ran straights back a little ways and had them turn out in front of the rear tires with chrome tips. sounds awesome. you could also have them run the duals straight out the back. that would look cool too.
Didn't you loose a lot of low end power by doing this?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what I need to ask them to do is cut some **** out behind the resonator (the thing that the dual outlets come from)?

Umm...??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Duals on the first generations would be kinda tricky, because the gas tank is in the way. It isn;t like the 2nd gens where there is alot more room. I talk to a local muffler shop and basically, duals would have to go around the spare tire well which really would be pointless, you would get more power out of just one. Unless your motive is for look, cause it will look tight as hell. My pocket books kinda tight so I think all I'm gonna do is but in a ultra flow welded muffler in and some good tips and it ought to grumble.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The cheapest way would just be to run a pipe in place of the undercar muffler. I did this, it sounds great, esspecially at higher RPMs. A real head turner. The only complaint I have is a slight gurgle at a certain RPM. Its barely noticable though. Good luck and keep up posted.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
at the shop i worked at, i cut out the muffler and resonator, welded a flowmaster right after the car, and right at the rear axle i split it, and made dual outlets, looks damn awsome and sounds great to, i didn't do it for power, i did it mainly for looks, but i don't think i hurt or helped anything in any way, just geta lot of complements on the way it looks and sounds

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had my exhaust hacked off a little past the cat and then just bent up a single piece of pipe and ran that all the way back. Then put on a good sized Bolt on tip on. It sounds nice and looks good.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
actually i didnt lose that much power really....just not quite as responsive at lower r's, but it sure screams when i gets up there

·
Registered
219 Posts
Go listen to Rarewolf's car, (in the pic's section) He did pretty much the same thing that Brun064 and I did. Just keep in mind, these systems are stainless steel one piece systems. Be SURE you want to do it before you do it!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So there is no going back once you do it? I love how Rarewolf's car sounds! I love it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you think it sounds good from a recording, wait until you hear it on your own car! Also I felt that it freed up a few puppies under the hood, it certainly pulls alot harder since then!

Have Fun!!! :D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
heres how mine sounds

dual exhaust sound

it's small now.

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice note there Thrasher! Does kinda sound similar to my 1st gen. One thing I like is that you hear that 'de-cel burble' when you let off the gas, yours do that? I love that sound! :D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Do you know why its illegal to run the exhaust like i did? I've never been pulled over and i have even been complimented on the look/sound by a cop.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Originally posted by pimped3point3:
Do you know why its illegal to run the exhaust like i did?

i think it has something to do with the fact that someone could easily burn themselves on the exhaust outlet. it's different than if they came out angled behind the wheels because people are more apt to be around the back doors than around the rear bumper. this is pure speculation but it seems logical.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I read somewhere that the exhuast outlet must be a certain distance from the end of the passenger compartment (due to Carbon Monoxide gases). Don't remember were, but I guess there is some law to that effect.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I am thinking that makes more sense, not that burning yourself on it wouldn't hurt though. The law has something to do with the exhaust gases having to leave the rear of the car. I'm not sure why, but trucks are exempt from this. I think it's b/c they have a higher ride height and the amount of air flow under the truck is greater than that of a lower passenger car. YOu can see this on the new F-150's. I had dual Flowmasters under my '74 Nova that stopped right before the axle with turndowns. Let's just say i wouldn't sit in it too long with it running and the windows up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts