DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I hope you all had a great xmas.
My sister is visiting me in Ontario and she drove here from Misssissppii during htat big storm. Her car has sta for a few days( 2) and now in Park the rev limiter seems to act at 35-3800.. its the 3.5 and its an LHS.. I think a 99.
Any ideas???
Please anything would be a help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
doh!!! I think its to stop any engine damage.. my car does it to. I just checked....
gezzzzzzzzzzze

·
Banned
109 Posts
wow mine is a 00 intrepid and it stops right at the red line and if i use the 4spd slap shift if i dont shift before that it auto shifts

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
lvslimsdodge said:
wow mine is a 00 intrepid and it stops right at the red line and if i use the 4spd slap shift if i dont shift before that it auto shifts
That's in gear. When it's in park it won't go over 3K RPM.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Not to be a dick... but ANYONE who guns it in park... deserves to have their engine die.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
crombie said:
Not to be a dick... but ANYONE who guns it in park... deserves to have their engine die.
Agreed.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Revving an engine in park has been an american pastime. People have done it for 50+ years... to try and intimidate people next to them.

The amount of damage a quick little rev will do is no more than running it to red line under load.

Notice I said "quick"

Sitting and revving it to 8K for great stretches isn't good, as the engine may overheat.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
but yet when they make the engines they test them by running them at high arms for long periods of time to test it :)

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Peppa Boy said:
but yet when they make the engines they test them by running them at high arms for long periods of time to test it :)
One would think they would do it in "drive" (if it's installed in the car)

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Peppa Boy said:
In some cases they do, and some they don't. Racing engines are a good example of ones that are tested that way, especially since they will see that constant 500 miles of high RPM. But there is more to the testing than just revving it up, like with the new HEMI, they constantly heated it up and cooled it down (icy icy water) to see what would happen.

A quick rev is really nothing, I should have clarified before, like it was mentioned holding the peddal to the floor for a long period of time will do most harm. But the limiter is there for a reason, I'm guessing it's to prevent neutral dropping (seeing that a big weak spot for the LH cars is the transmission)

·
Banned
109 Posts
Lafrad said:
Revving an engine in park has been an american pastime. People have done it for 50+ years... to try and intimidate people next to them.

The amount of damage a quick little rev will do is no more than running it to red line under load.

Notice I said "quick"

Sitting and revving it to 8K for great stretches isn't good, as the engine may overheat.

cough uh back then they made motors that last instead of these new engines
the limiter is there so u dont break off the motor mounts so the guy is right its a safety issue and if u rev in park thats not to smart if u keep bounceing the motor u will break something
and it is different from park and drive park the power has no where to go in drive ur useing all that power going to the wheels and its more power but its going some where

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
lvslimsdodge said:
cough uh back then they made motors that last instead of these new engines
the limiter is there so u dont break off the motor mounts so the guy is right its a safety issue and if u rev in park thats not to smart if u keep bounceing the motor u will break something
and it is different from park and drive park the power has no where to go in drive ur useing all that power going to the wheels and its more power but its going some where

Motors nowadays last MUCH longer than they did "back when"

Revving, NOT BOUNCING OFFA THE REV LIMITER, won't hurt you if done resonably. watch your temperature. thats IT

Running the 1/4 mile is WAY WORSE for your engine than sitting there and dry revving to 6K for 16.5 seconds.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Did they start putting the 3500 limit in 98 when they started making 2nd gens? I know that my 1st gen 97 hits the limiter at red line when out of gear.

·
Registered
865 Posts
mine can also redline when in park or neutral but I have only done that once or twice for a brief moment, mine is a 96.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
iggy said:
Did they start putting the 3500 limit in 98 when they started making 2nd gens? I know that my 1st gen 97 hits the limiter at red line when out of gear.
Yes the revlimiter on LH cars was introduced in 98. So all first gen cars can bounce off the redline limiter while in park or neutral.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
i was talking about the new 2005 mustang racecar engine but ok :) its was inside the building connected to nothing but sensors monitoring rpm hp torque all that good **** then it was shipped to canada were the special team was making the body and test fitting the engine. the mount were bad because the engine would jump and make the car jump like hydrolics . lmao not high just littl uhmph.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts