DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my biggest car pet peeves are dirty rims. I try to keep mine clean because having dirty wheels really stands out to me. On the stock alloy Intrepid wheels and now my 15 spoke aftermarkets, I really have noticed a LOT of brake dust gathering on the wheels.

I was wondering what anyone does to keep their wheels in tip top shape, or if they have some kind of finish product that prevents brake dust from sticking to the rims so much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
there's not really anything you can put on the rim to prevent brake dust from collecting, but you can get ceramic brake pads that produce very very little if any brake dust. I don't believe that they are that much more expensive than the standard pads. or you could prob put some wax on the rims for just a quick rinse off of the dust.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
well i wash my car everyfriday and i have little to no dust. also i have ceramic pads um raysbest.
also i dont slam on the breaks when im doing 45 and im about 50 feet from the light...(not saying any one is doing it) but if i dont wash my car every week i realy get break dust.
also i let the hose rinse the inside where the pads are and wash all that **** off..

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Put on some Bendix CT-3 brake pads. :)

No, seriously. The CT-3 pads produce very little dust, and the dust that is produced is of a light color. You're also not going to sacrafice performance with these pads.

It's a dailey driver used for commuting, right?
You put a pair of those with a set of iRotors Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors, that ***** will STOP. I miss that set-up on my Intrepid. Since the Special's only got 21k on it, it's gonna be some time still before she gets those CT-3's.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard a lot about the iRotors, maybe this could be a combo worth investing in.

LOUD 98, you won't be the only white trep in Smithfield next year. I'm going to school up there and freshman can have cars :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mothers rim polish (it's a white cream paste) works beautifully,. You can't stop brake dust from collecting, but the Mothers seems to make it easier to wash off as it doesn't stick to the rims.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would just buy meguiars or any other car car companies wheel cleaning stuff(usually called a solvent or solution or something), basically its just wheel acid. I use the stuff at work.

You know those minivans with golden rims? they look horrible. Hit them with wheel acid, that **** comes out factory clean.

Just be careful if you are using acid not to get it on the paint and to spot test it on the rim to make sure no chemicle reactions occur otherwise it will eat the finish (i've never seen it happen at work but it is a possibility) The reaction is noted by sudden bubbles forming on the surface of the rim, rinse it off immediately.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Japy said:
I would just buy meguiars or any other car car companies wheel cleaning stuff(usually called a solvent or solution or something), basically its just wheel acid. I use the stuff at work.

You know those minivans with golden rims? they look horrible. Hit them with wheel acid, that **** comes out factory clean.

Just be careful if you are using acid not to get it on the paint and to spot test it on the rim to make sure no chemicle reactions occur otherwise it will eat the finish (i've never seen it happen at work but it is a possibility) The reaction is noted by sudden bubbles forming on the surface of the rim, rinse it off immediately.
Wonder if that would have an affect on my black wheels when I get my r/s motorsports intrepid friday.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
wax them.

you'll still get the brake dust, but it will come right off with the hose. I hit my chrome wheels with a high pressure hose, wipe dry and they look better every time.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
yep wax is good.
i waxed my car had a light rain came out when it was dry and just wiped off all the dust and rain spoits and was shiny again

·
Registered
494 Posts
I got carbon ceramic pads on my r/t when I got new front brakes and haven't had a speck of dust since...I got new rotors, carbon ceramic pads and installation for $210. Plus lifetime warranty on the pads which is sweet!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I use Meguiars All-Wheel Cleaner spray. Seems to work pretty good for me, just spray on and hose off. Wax? I had not thought of waxing the wheels, maybe a light coat of spray-on wax will work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts