DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for all the newbie questions. I'm just so excited about this car and getting going on the mods. My mind is racing with ideas.

On the G2 Treps are they on rims or is that a steel wheel cover? I havent ventured into taking the lugs off and finding out for myself yet so please humor me :biggrinfl

Since I'm a poor, young husband and father of three, I was thinking of getting some nice wheel covers (if that's what we've got) to replace the factory ones. vs. spending nearly a grand on rims.

Does anyone have a decent site to purchase nice STEEL or CHROME wheel covers? Most of what I've see are :monkeypis ABS plastic covers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JoeKD said:
since you have a 2002 SE I assume you have the OEM 16" SE wheels which are a wheelcover
Yessir! Thanks Joe! Like I said, haven't gotten to the point of taking the lugs off yet to find out.

Alright! Now that that's settled...... anyone have a link to a site they like?

·
Registered
995 Posts
it's all personnal taste. go to walmart, autozone, or pepboys and pick what ya like. people here won't pick on ya over your hubcaps unless ther are really distastefull....EI spinner hubcaps or one's with fake painted rotors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe - I start'n to see what you mean. I did a search on dogpile and found a bunch of pretty nice looking ones that are advertised as "high quality" plastic. I guess that would be ok. Save me some money anyway.
Question though, most of these hubcaps I'm finding don't have lugnuts? Sorry, new to this particular part of the game. Uh, they have metal clips to attach to the wheel, soooooo what happens to the lug nuts that are visible on my OEM wheel covers?
I would guess that I have to take off the lug nuts and then the OEM cover. Then replace it with the new cover. Uh, that leaves the nuts off???????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeah, forgot..... no spinners for this boy! LOL!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
i not too sure but your oem caps are either held on with the lugnuts, you jack the wheel up take the lug nuts off, take the OEM hubcap off, put the lug nuts back on and install new hubcap.
aftermarket hubcaps..some have imitation lug nuts and some don't..they all thou do just clip on to the outer rim.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Aftermarket hubcaps should be deep enough to allow room for the lugnuts behind them. If you want a set of rims i have some silver 17" razorstars for $250 + shipping if your interested.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
elboricua75 said:
Aftermarket hubcaps should be deep enough to allow room for the lugnuts behind them. If you want a set of rims i have some silver 17" razorstars for $250 + shipping if your interested.
you STILL have those things??!! Man...if I needed another set of wheels....

Lucky6 - These are a really nice, inexpensive wheel upgrade! You could have a nice set of wheels with new rubber for under $750! I have the silver razorstars on my Trep, wrapped in Kumho Ecsta ASX 245/45-17's, and I love em!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
In2Deep said:
you STILL have those things??!! Man...if I needed another set of wheels....
alot of people interested and ask for shipping quotes but no one has stepped up to buy them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, that is tempting....... $250 for rims is a steal. But like was mentioned, then I'd have to get new (larger) tires. Not a bad thing at all, but darn it..... I just don't have that kind of cash right now. Sure as heck wish I did, I'd be all over that.
Have you posted those on Ebay? Can't believe you wouldnt have gotten takers??? Just out of curiousity, what does shipping run on something like that? I see we're not to far from each other..... dang it! I just don't have the coin now..... :(

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
You can ship the wheels for about $70-80 pretty much anywhere in the U.S. for the set of four. Buy the wheels now, and then save up for the tires!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Friggin' ANYONE INTERESTED in his rims, go to Gearfest for the October meet and pick them up while you're there!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,476 Posts
The stock wheel covers on steel rims are held on by the lug nuts. I think it's three of the five with the wheel cover having a smaller diameter hole for the lug nut to retain it. The lug nuts for wheel covers versus alloy rims are different in length and the shoulder that would retain the wheel cover. I found this out the hard way after buying my first set of Chrysler alloys to put on my Intrepid. It cost $60 from Napa for the proper lug nuts for alloys..and that was the cheapest to be found. Steelie lug nuts will work on alloy wheels but they stick out from the rim. They all have the same thread size and the wheel cover/steel lug nuts have a shoulder on them to to retain the wheel cover. Something to think about when adding up the total cost of buying wheels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent info to consider, thanks Ronbo!!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
DO NOT use those cheap hubcaps from Walmart/Pep boys/etc. .....they will not stay on long. They always come off. OEM hubcaps are much higher quality and has a much better retaining system. Ours are great as they are bolt on covers. The reason people lose the OEM hubcaps is becuase if they are not bolt ons like ours, they tend to loosen up hitting bad potholes and such. If people would just check them sometimes and tap them down, doubt people would ever lose an OEM cap. If you buy those cheapie ones thiugh, I guarantee you will lose one. They suck...and the Chrome ones look like....well fake chrome. If you want a different pair of caps, check Ebay for another manufacturer. I have a 2001 but I put 2002 on mine that I got for under $100. To do an ebay search just put 16" hubcap in the search box. Also, if you decide to go OEM, make sure it's real. There are aftermarket fake ones...you can usually tell because the center will bulge out for clearence for the lug nuts. I was thginking Toyota Matrix would look good ...heres a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-T...ewItemQQcategoryZ33744QQitemZ7990953062QQrdZ1

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lucky6 said:
Man, that is tempting....... $250 for rims is a steal. But like was mentioned, then I'd have to get new (larger) tires. Not a bad thing at all, but darn it..... I just don't have that kind of cash right now. Sure as heck wish I did, I'd be all over that.
Have you posted those on Ebay? Can't believe you wouldnt have gotten takers??? Just out of curiousity, what does shipping run on something like that? I see we're not to far from each other..... dang it! I just don't have the coin now..... :(
no i haven't put them on ebay, i may just have to do that. If you buy them i could meet you half way like in rockford or something. If can send you pics if your are interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts