DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for rims for the Special...

I took the rims off today to change my rotors, and boy are they heavy! they have to weigh over 45lbs each...

What I really want is something that looks just like the special rims that dont weigh as much...

Any help or input for new rims would be greatly appriciated! (plus generous rep ;) )

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
How about 20" rims? ;)

Reactions: SilverSpecial

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
OZ Superturismo GT. available in 18".

Borbet Type LS

My personal choice, the AMG 230 that goes on the SL 500

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Are you saying the wheels without tires are 45 lbs? or wheel/tire combo?

I would like to know exactly how much those wheels weigh?
What is the inscribed offset on those bad boys?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Special Rims with the tires weight about 45lbs... they too are a ***** to clean, but I love the look of them... I just dont want the weight... Lighter rims= more power to the ground, faster acceleration and better mpg! :D

Derek, do you know the specs on the Borbets?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Just doing a little estimated math here, let me know if you follow...

its about a 3,000lb car...

Assuming the new rim/tire combo weighs 1/2 as much, you will be shaving 100lbs from the entire weight of the vehicle. That's like 3% of the car's weight... Assuming weight has a direct impact on MPG, you would be getting approximately 3% better MPG. Im guessing the average 300m gets around 25mpg which would be 25.75mpg after the reduction...

Is less than 1mpg really worth dropping $1,000 on a new rim/tire combo? Take the HP that gets to the wheels and add 3% on top of that... is that really worth $1000? Weight reduction on a 4 door sedan is about as big a waste of time as I can think of, but unfortunately im bored as hell at work

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The weight of the wheels has to moved in two ways, forward with the rest of the car, and spun.
If the wheels only weighs 25 lbs (RT ~22-23, ES starblades ~18.5) and the tire is only 25lbs, that isn't too bad for and OEM setup.
Also sprung to unsprung ratio comes into play.
Keep them and put 235/50 18 winter tires on them, seeing as they are only 7.5" wide.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
gazetowardthesky said:
Is less than 1mpg really worth dropping $1,000 on a new rim/tire combo? Take the HP that gets to the wheels and add 3% on top of that... is that really worth $1000? Weight reduction on a 4 door sedan is about as big a waste of time as I can think of, but unfortunately im bored as hell at work
To some, yes. Weight reduction in the wheel department is worth time sprung weight. You'll have improvement in braking, handling and acceleration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts