DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we all like talking about the Intrepid in this forum, I figure most of you are also driving enthusiasts. I figured I’d share with you my driving experience on our family vacation via the Intrepid.

We did the west Texas/Southeast New Mexico circuit. The car was packed to the gills with wife and a 23 month old (carseat in middle rear) and a 4 year old (booster seat on right rear). Cooler was in the left rear seat, toys, laptop, on the floor. Trunk was basically full with a porta-crib, 2 suitcases, child-backpack, stroller, and a couple carry-on bags. (And those mini-van driver’s think they have the corner on space.) :)

Started out here on Wed (1/2) and went to San Angelo, Texas. We went 190 miles on US highways and averaged 26 mpg (according to the computer). Texas highways (not just Interstates) have speed limits of 70 MPH so traveling by the "back roads" isn’t too bad here. There was a bit of a head wind and we were "slowly" going up hill the way there. Our cruise control was set at 72-75 MPH for the trip. Cold tire pressure was 35 PSI with the Goodyear Eagle GA. Gas was 87 Octane. Price: $0.95/gal. Saw Ft. Concho (one of the old Forts that the government established in expanding to the west).

Went 327 miles to Carlsbad Caverns (New Mexico) the next day. Got 28.3 MPG. New Mexico speed limits where 65 MPH so we went had it set at 70. "Regular" gas in New Mexico (what I found) was 86 Octane. Beats me why and I haven’t experienced 86 any where else. So, went up to their mid-grade 88. Didn’t notice any performance difference. Price was $1.11/gal. Had a bit of rain; thankfully it was just above freezing so no freezing rain. Carlsbad Caverns is a very good place to see…highly recommend.

Next day, went 270 miles to Ft. Davis, TX. Got 28.2 MPG. Paid $1.07/gal for 87 Octane in Pecos, TX. Another nice place to visit. Not quite "rocky mountains" but nice enough, none the less. Old Ft. Davis is also a neat place to see.

Next day, went 440 miles back home. Got 29.5 MPG…had a good strong tailwind and a "long downhill run" with cruise control on 75 MPH. Went through Ft. Stockton. Lots of history. Paid $1.07/gal for gas. One thing to note…price was $1.25/gal off the Interstate. If you have time, try going a few miles into town to buy gas, may save you some bucks (plus you might find a "Mickey Dee’s" with a indoor playground ). :)

All-in-all, a very good family trip. Our full mileage with around town, etc…1,280 miles. Max speed was 85 on a long, lonely stretch of highway. Only "damage" to car…a very small chip in the windshield from a rock thrown up by a vehicle. Car is still "solid as a rock" with nary a rattle at 26K miles…cudo’s to the workers!! Saw lots of trucks, SUVs, and mini-vans…not many ‘treps. Texas is growing a new crop…wind-mill farms. Saw quite a number of them. Saw a few Highway Patrol cars; even saw one between Carlsbad and Pecos. Texas has pickup and SUV Highway Patrol vehicles in addition to the Crown Vics, so keep that in mind while driving here. If anyone wants more specific info, email me or post here.

Hope I didn’t "bore" you with this, but would like to hear more Intrepid-driving experiences.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
great to hear about the good trip, gasw prices sound good too, I paid $1.06 for 87 octane in CT this weekend

I still think the two of the most outstanding features to all parents are that HUGE trunkspace and the rear heat a/c vents

·
Registered
973 Posts
all of my driving is "city" style, our roads are 35mph with a very few stretches of 45mph. YAHOO!! So the mpg always stinks and we pay $1.53 for 87 octane gas. Lucky again!However, it's always summer, golf is great here as well as scuba! Water is always about 84 degrees with 100+ vis in the water!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Must me nice to have that sort of water temp and vis. Whenever I go diving up here in Ontario to warmest that it ever gets is about 70. When I go to the prime spot in Tobermory it never gets above 55 all year round. But the vis in Tobermory is always 50+ feet. I am suppose to go down to Mexico in March, it will be nice not to have to an 8mm wetsuit(19mm core with hood).
Happy Diving

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Rich - Wow, great trip! You covered a lot of ground, but managed to take in quite a bit of sightseeing.

I get 17 mpg on the nose around the Twin Cities...(2001 R/T 3.5L)

I still think the two of the most outstanding features to all parents are that HUGE trunkspace and the rear heat a/c vents
You got THAT right! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been from Cape Cod,MA to Virginia Beach,VA and back (1200 miles round trip)at least three times in the last 6 months and I always get around 29.8MPG (estimated because the OTIS didn't come in my '00 2.7L) I always hit the last service area on NJTP and I'm at 1/4 tank and when I get to VA BCH I'm at 9/16tank. we have 17Gal/Tnk.so 3/4(12/16) + 7/16= 19/16ths=1 3/16=17+3/16(.19)of17=3.19+17= 20.2 gals used in exactly 602miles yields 29.8MPG-follow me? I know, wierd math, but that's the only way it made sense to me. price/gallon in Va BCH was $0.889/gal for 87oct at a new WAWA and also at a new HESS(competing) AMAZING PRICES!! I never put any higher octane in my baby-more expensive and no better performance as far as I've heard. I go about 73-81 MPH(too many tickets to go faster)but I'm not afraid to gunnit past 90 to pass a sunday driver on a onelaner. Any disputes on my math?(is there an easier way?)(without the OTIS-I mean)

·
Registered
427 Posts
You could always fill your tank completely, record your miles, drive around until you need gas again. Record your mileage and the number of gallons you just used to fill 'er up. Subtract your starting miles from your ending miles then divide that by the gallons.

Example:
25,400 miles
25,700 miles - 15.500 gallons

300 miles/ 15.500 =

19.35 mpg.
:D

Maybe Mathwiz can help us out on this one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts