DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm 38 yrs old and have put dozens of stereo head units in my cars/friends cars throuout the years...so I have this real nice AIWA CD head unit, plays CR-RWs, MP3# hookup etc...I go to put it in my wifes 97 Intrpid and its too deep!!!! 6 5/8 inches and it smacks the it's back against the firewall....

I can't believe it....cruchfield says maximum depth for a 97 trep is 6 1/8 inches....anyone else run across this??? any tricks to get around this..?? :confused:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I ran accross that. I crammed the bastard in there. The trim piece that covers it still doesn't sit flush.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you are close you can get there.

First, there is a little piece of plastic behind the radio. Grab a pliers and break it off.

Now, get a heatgun and heat up the large plastic object behind the radio. This is just some ducting, so you can bend it a pretty decent amount.

Your radio should now fit. I have an extremely deep deck (Kenwood KDC-X911) that the installers at work were able to get to fit.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ok, I am not the only one that has had this problem.

Here's what I did:

Bought 2 dash kits.
Cut one apart to get about 1/16" ring all the way around the recess that the deck fits into. Then rough up the surface of the second kit and epoxy the cut out piece to it. After you get that to stick well enough then use some more epoxy and fill in the gap making it kind of rounded in the corners. I did this with a nice 1/4" dremel (sp?) sandpaper bit and sanded down the corner to make a nice (and perfect) 1/4" round all the way around. I will take some pictures later to illustrate what I did if you can't follow my ramblings.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are awesome, thanks for the tips!!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I am also a crammer. I stuffed my Pioneer CD player in there. I had it in my R/T and I liked it so much I put it into my 'Trep.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here are those pics:

Hope this gets you going if you decide to do what I did. Oh yeah, before anyone goes and tells me that the paint is messed up... I did that on purpose to sorta match the texture of the dash. I think it turned out good. I look forward to other's opinions.

Later,

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: swartlkk ]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swartlkk,

Great pics...I get what you did and it came out great!!! Good ole Mopar ingenuity!!!

I will be working on it this weekend...

ya know because the unit sits so low on the console I get lots of glare off the LED, I'm gonna try to tilt it up a bit as well...

I'm impressed with the outcome of your setup, I hope mine looks half as good...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts