DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a post a short while back. 96 3.5. Two things happen at startup.
1. Car would start and shoot up to about 2k rpm and settle at about 850-900 rpm. The rpm disquised a prior slightly rough idle.
2. If the car had been sitting, it would start sluggishly at very low rpm and work its way up to the 850-950 rpm. It never died while doing this.

This weekend I did the infamous intake gasket repair-used the napa metal one. Also changed out the spark tubes on the drivers side bank as the #6 had oil in it-figured may as well do all of em while in there. egr is new, iac is new and clean, pcv is new, plugs and wires a couple months old. also changed out the inner tie rod ends while the plenum was off. idle is now stabilized at 750 in park and 600 in gear. looks like the intake needed to be done. my slightly rough idle is still there and the two startup situations remain-rpms only go up to about 1300 when on the high side though. I did NOT do the fuel pressure regulator as I thought I might-did'nt want to spend the extra $$.
In reading some posts on checking for fuel/fuel pressure issues, I have noted the following check. Try to turn the key on a few times before actually starting the car. This will add pressure to the system and car may start easier. Well, I did this and it makes the car start WORSE. It actually had its dog start and died. I was able to start it back up agian with no real problems, but it looks like I may be getting too much gas/flooding? I do note that when doing the above repairs that I did the spark tubes first on friday evening. I did not start the intake job and release the fuel pressure and drain the coolant until the next morning-except there WAS NO FUEL PRESSURE when I pressed the schrader valve. How long should the systems hold fuel pressure?
I obviously have a fuel issue. Regulator? Leaking injector? fuel pump? can these cause a rough idle as well? any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I can't remember what was asked on the old thread, so here go's. Have you cleaned out the IAC. Just had to ask. Yes, Regulator, Leaking injector, and or bad fuel pump can cause rough idle. The best way is to test the pressure on the system with a tester. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ? Also a faulty EGR Valve will also give you a bad idle too. You can try a take the EGR off and clean it too. to see if that would help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iac is new and clean. egr is brand new. fuel filter was changed with plugs and wires. what does a fuel pressure guage cost and where can i get one-looks like i get to buy a new toy.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
You can get a tester at any parts store. Napa, Checker, and Ect. This is one model that they have at Checker's :

This one cost's $45. You can get them cheaper though, just look around. And also you should be able to rent one from a parts store too.

( It say's in the manual that the fuel pressure should be 48 PSI) Just for your info.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some other things it's not. it's not the iac. according to the mechanic who does our company cars who charged my a/c, it's not the fuel ststem. he did replace the schrader valve on the rail but he says pressure is fine-with and without vacuum. he said the valve leaked a bit. it starts fine.it's not the coil pack. swapped out a known working one and no difference.

it is pretty dead smooth once running in neutral or park at 750 rpm. when in gear it is when slightly rough. idle will be at about 700, then slowly drop in about 50 rpm increments to about 600 or 550.
-would the engine run dead smooth if the timing belt had jumped a tooth or was set off when replaced before i owned the car? elsewise. if not, i think i'm left with the possibility of shuddering tc?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts